As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Saturday, October 21

1. Ah the weekend. I looooooooooooooooove the weekend! Nothing is quite like throwing open the blinds and seeing the whole city waiting for you. Good morning Cheonan!
2. Ventured over to Myong-Dong, my favorite hot spot in Seoul for shopping and people watching. I took a taxi from the bus terminal to the area and was greatly entertained and flattered by the taxi driver who tried eagerly to ask me as many Konglish questions as possible.
3. The taxi driver showed me a picture of a girl and instantly with saying "Ohhh... she is pretty" I somehow became a pervert in his eyes... I sensed his odd reaction. Turns out she's his daughter. Honestly, I didn't look at the picture closely but still, why the strange reaction. I suppose I should have said she is cute.
4. Myong-Dong is a super infested shopping hot spot. It's small streets are packed with hundreds of shoppers, street vendors and the occasional stupid car or truck driver who tries to drive through the massive crowd. As I stepped aside to let this one young truck driver though, I noticed he almost drove over this shopper's foot. The shopper was furious and ended up pulling the driver out of his truck. They didn't fight. Instead they argued, the truck driver got back in to drive away and the shopper walked behind the truck. Everyone was watching! It was like a scene out of a gangster movie.
5. I did it! I did the impossible! I found the perfect jacket! Not only was it way cheaper than expected but it looks perfect AND makes me look like a skinny posh little gal... mission completed! I felt so pretty... ㅋㅋㅋ.
6. Along with the pefect jacket, I also picked up some more pieces of clothing to further Koreanize my wardrobe... ㅋㅋㅋ
7. Apparently the biggest craze in Myong-Dong among the shoppers is an ice cream shop that sells a 30cm ice cream cone!!! I tested it out. If it wasn't for the fact that I love ice cream, it wasn't that great. Mind ya, it was definitely amusing watching all these people eat their super tall ice cream cones... ㅋㅋㅋ.
8. The super tall ice cream reminded me of Sunday drives my father use to take us on. We use to go to this ice cream shop out in the country where when the wind blew the wrong way all you smelt was the cows but we loved that store. The small size ice cream they served was always freakishly big and I remember us all laughing at those ladies as they spoke of just how big and how shocked they were over the size! Do you remember Dad? I remember it like it was yesterday.
9. Driving in Seoul on a Saturday night... not exactly my cup of tea or my definition of a good time. Not only is traffic stop-and-go, but people totally disregard using headlights and stop lights too for that matter. Buses are notorious for hoarding the roads, motorcylists and scooters drive on the sidewalks, and people step into traffic like they're invisible.
10. Like I've always said, and will always say, Seoul is nice to visit but nothing beats being back in Cheonan and spending time with friends. Takes Kim Tae for the late night visit. You are a true friend to me, thank you.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What ever happened to that ice cream store?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same.
-- Author Unknown

No comments: