As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Thursday, October 12

1. Day 1 of me giving the English conversation speaking tests. Today my level 3 middle school students did the test. It was so cute how nervous some of them were. Some students even got alittle emotional during the test.
2. I always find test days so interesting. It's great to see the kids show off their English skills, it's humorous to hear their Konglish and shocking answers, but it's especially entertaining to see how they all react to the test. Shine from my class 3-2 is the school president and so there's a lot of pressure on him to maintain popularity, academics, and so forth. Today, as he finished his test he turned around, grabbed my hand and said, "Ms. B I love you!"... then ran back into class. Ha, ha, ha!
3. Was in a state of total shock when I asked one class to sing their pop song they'll be presenting at the school festival. I'm not too sure of the name of the song but I it definitely was not a kid's song!!! Oh my gosh! Turns out their teacher picked the song and, obviously, didn't run it by the English department (Mrs. Jung and me) first. If only they knew what they were singing, their young ears would bleed!!! Thankfully I was sucessful with convincing them to switch songs.
4. Had a club meeting with my English drama afterschool club, F.S. Talents. I humored them by acting out a 7 person by myself and so that really got them excited about today's activity. I had written a play for them and so next week they're going to present it.
5. I always love checking out the street vendors on the way home. Not only am I curious about their stuff but I get to practice my Korean and socialize. As I walked by this one fruit truck, the guy called out to me. I use to always buy my fruit off him but lately I've been simply picking it up whenever I'm at LotteMart. I was really flattered that he remembered me and by all his questions. Apparently he's been trying to remember some English sentences and so it was rather amusing.
6. Turns out Mr. Fruit Man knows my weekly routine down to an art and who I hang out with. I take it he's there a lot cause I do pass by his area everyday at least once. Turns out my apartment security guard also knows way more about me than I thought he did. Tonight he approached me and asked me a million questions...where is Ryan, why don't you get letters (mail), why didn't you go to the gym today, etc.
7. Talked to Sue's mom tonight. She is thnking about hiring more private teachers to come to her house and school Sue. Bare in mind, Sue is ONLY 7 years old and, as it stands, she gets privately tutored in Chinese letters, Chinese talking, English, mind games, violin, swimming, reading time, math, and in Korean. Wow.. only in Korea, that's all I have to say!
8. I'm started to feel spoiled by Kim Tae always visiting... ha, ha, ha. Don't get me wrong, I always love the company of my friends but I know he should really be at home studying. Kim Tae's new phrase of the day "Buttaface". Ha, ha, ha.
9. Started this wickedly evil new ab-crunch routine that I read about online. It only takes about 6 minutes but it leaves you huddled over for hours... or so they claim. Wow.. what a burn!
10. Had a brief but interesting chat about the whole North Korea nuc. issue with my friend Steve on msn. Last year when I first dealt with this issue, I had packed up and was living out of a suitcase for about a month. This year however, my reaction is much different. Sure South Korea may be sleeping with the enemy but this is my home and it would break my heart to leave Kim Tae, Byung Hyuk, Ryan and my students here. My heart is in Korea and so I can not leave.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What would you do?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Surely, when a guy has a bazooka, the safest place to stand is right next to him? Unless, of course, the bazooka is untested and being weilded by someone who want to show off. No plane tickets yet, but I've been practicing my running and swimming.

-- the Scottish Idiot (yes... he's back!)

No comments: