As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Tuesday, October 31

1. Congratulations to my father, Mr. Happy Retiree!!! It was on this day 5 years ago that my father retired after many years of dedicated work at Imperial Oil as an accountant. I remember that day... I got into a messy petition over a test I was suppose to write that day because I wanted to go see my father. My university professor wasn't impressed to say the least, but he ended up letting me go. You are well deserving of your retirement dad! Congrats!
2. Yet another staff meeting. After various students being harassed, a teacher being sued, classes being interrupted, staff being super stressed out and parents flooding the schools,… apparently they're reached a decision. They've decided to make The Bully and her sidekick do community service for two days. WHAT?!!! I can't respect this decision and totally feel it doesn't even come close to be justifiable in regards to what has occurred. This is a joke. My first period was cancelled as they pulled a student/staff meeting in the gym for a massive meeting. So much for this being over.
3. While sitting in the teacher's room I was in complete shock as one teacher punched a student in the head! Oh my gosh. What was more shocking was the fact that I was the only one disturbed by it!!!
4. Surprisingly enough, the only ones from class 2-1 who dressed up for my class Halloween party was The Bully and her sidekicks. The six of them dressed up as dead Korean girls and had painted on blood dripping from their eyes. It was actually quite real looking too. Freaky!
5. It's obvious that the mood in my school has been tense lately and so I tried to cheer the WHOLE school up by getting dressed up in my Halloween costume and running around the school at lunchtime. I ran into the cafeteria and threw candy at the students. They loved it. Some didn't know what my costume was suppose to be but they loved my enthusiasim and the candy…ㅋㅋㅋ. I was a superhero/boxer.
6. My mummy game was a HUGE hit with both classes, 2-1 and 1-1. The purpose of the game was to be the first one to wrap your partner (the staged mummy) in the toilet paper. The funniest was when Lyndia was all wrapped up. She stood there giggling uncontrollably and then lost her balance...ㅋㅋㅋ.
7. Played "Pin the hat on the dog" (similar to "Pin the tail on the donkey"). Class 1-1 got carried away and ended up letting their blindfolded peers walk out of the classroom clueless to the fact that they were NO where close to the target…ㅋㅋㅋ.
8. Halloween isn't very big in Korea and so my students were all curious as to what Canadian kids do on Halloween. I told them the obvious stuff (costumes, school party,humoredt then I humoured them with the real details... pumpkin smashing, egg throwing, and other pranks. Had to laugh cause me telling them the rebellous side of things reminded me of my dad's stories. I am my father...ㅋㅋㅋ!
9. What I thought was a simple bump on the head, ended up leaving me making friends with the toilet (yup, I got sick). So all plans for tonight were cancelled and instead I took a trip to the hospital.
10. As they say about Koreans, once you're a friend with a Korean, you're now like family. Tonight I told Kim Tae that I was going to smoke (it was me using blackmail to get him to stop smoking). Twenty minutes later he showed up to lecture me about not smoking...ㅋㅋㅋ. He's such a good friend. So cute...ㅋㅋㅋ.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What are we really teaching our students?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...

Actions speak louder than words.
-- Author Unknown

No comments: