As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Wednesday, October 11

1. WOW! As my elementary kids filed into the class I was bombarded with lots of hugs and high-fives! This is our first class back from the holiday. Today I had planned a super-hype competitions day and so we played games and had this hilarious singing contest! The competition for the singing contest was tough but Kevin won for his loud voice, huge effort, and the funny dance moves he sported. I was particularly impressed with his Michael Jackson move (I taught him that... SO funny!)! Kevin, you're awesome!
2. Luck hit me today and so it's been decided that I will not be teaching one extra class after my elementary classes today. It's just too much of a hassel for me having to rush back for class at the middle school. However, and this is our little secret, my fourth class was canceled today at the elementary school and so they offered to drive me back to the middle school. I'm no fool. I knew I'd get stuck with that extra class and so instead I stayed and killed time.
3. I caught little Fiesty-Pants-Boy (a grade one student who tries to fight with everyone, including teachers) in a fight today. His weapon today was a broom twice his size. As I comfronted the two boys and grabbed Fiesty-Pants-Boys' broom, he looked at me and I knew he was sizing me up for a fight. Something is definitely wrong with this little guy, it's scary.
4. As I sat eating lunch at the elementary school, I, along with pratically everyone else, stopped and listened to the super strict principle yell at my student for accidently dropping his chopstick into the food scraps bin. We then all watched in horror as he then was forced to sift through the nasty food scraps and see if more chopsticks were there. He was up to his elbows in food scraps! Soooooo nasty! So, when I got up to empty my lunch tray I was a bit nervous walking by the principle. I hadn't eaten a lot of my food and so I thought he'd freak on me. Well he didn't freak but then... oh my gosh... I dropped my bowl into the food bin! Two little girls saw it happened. We all looked at each other and as the one girl started to rat me out, I gave her a quick slap on the shoulder. Ohhhhh my gosh! Needless to say I was quick to leave the cafeteria before the principle was able to clue in!
5. As always, I got stuck supervising the elementary school bus and that's always interesting. Today my attention was on Fiesty-Pants-Boy who lashed out at a little girl cause she wouldn't share her snack. Fiesty-Pants-Boy tried to sqwirm away from me and so I physically had to restrain him! I sat him on my lap and wrapped my arms around his tiny body. After a few minutes he had definitely calmed down and was even smiling. I get the impression that no one has hugged this little guy in such a long time.
6. With too much time on my hands at work, I decided to search the internet for more random Korean words and phrases... voila! Much to my surprise and total fasination, I discovered a free web site that offers video Korean lessons. The lesson is formatted in a fashion that is very similar to the English lessons I see on TV... awesome! I'm hooked!
7. Despite my computer's fresh new start, it's having problems again. This time it's my multimedia player! As luck would have it, the school's computer doctor just happen to stop in today and so he fixed it. Thanks!
8. I'm notoriously known for changing my hair and so today I changed it again. I dyed it dark brown and added some highlights... well my salon stylist did. Hung out at the hair salon for a couple of hours while the stylist's neighbor (who always coincidently shows up when I drop by) and I amused each other. I braided his somewhat short hair and he gave me a foot massage. See boys... some guys DO love my feet. Having my feet rubbed by a handsome Korean man was a bit too erotic for a Wednesday night. Ha, ha, ha.
9. Got approached in the elevator by some strange young, drunk Korean woman. It was so weird. She grabbed my hand and started whinning about something. I don't know what the heck I was thinking but I ended up having to help her back outside and into a taxi. I was so embarrassed!
10. Jumped on msn and had a cool talk with my cousin Timmy (ah, sorry... "Tim". You're definitely not a child but you're still so cute). When I lived in Canada we never really talked but now that I'm way over here, we keep in touch. So, it's rather ironic because although I'm now so much farther away from him, it's actually brought us closer. Cool... or as Timmy says, "Kewl!"


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Did you just say that I am pretty?


QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Where you find true friendship, you find true love.

-- Author Unknown

1 comment:

Beloved said...

I may already know the website with free Korean lessons, but will you please send me the link?!? Thanks!