As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Wednesday, October 18

1. With only 2 & 1/2 hours of sleep, I showed up for work ready to go home and pass out!
2. In my grade 5 class today we focused on homes (house rooms and furniture) and so I thought it'd be fun to design "dream homes". They loved my sports dream house and so that kind of was the common theme among many students. I was especially humored by Brent who made a cookie room, Joe who made a room for all his money, and Bryan who made a room for his mom's make-up! Awesome!
3. After teaching my elementary classes, they called me a taxi and I headed home. Turns out I've met this taxi driver before and so it made for a very interesting taxi ride home. He practically begged me to teach him English. It was amusing but I really didn't respect his comment about trading his wife in for me. Oh my gosh!!! If I ever had a husband who said that to some other girl, well, let's just say he'd be "out of commision" for a long time!!! That's terrible!
4. Lunch at TGIF never tasted so good! This sure beats the nasty slop they throw on our plates at school!
5. I tried so hard to stay awake but I ended up crashing at 1pm and then again at 3pm. Woke up at 6pm. Ended up calling it a night at 11pm.
6. In between drifting in and out of conscieniness, I caught myself daydreaming about Canada.

7. Top Ten people I miss in Canada
  1. My family
  2. My best friend, Andi
  3. My boxing trainer, Egerton Marcus
  4. My good childhood friend, Lee
  5. My former flame, Curmudgeon
  6. My big buddy, Pete
  7. My homeboy, Iain
  8. My Bloor West Village boys ... Andy, Mark, Brett, Danny, Blancher, and Mikey.
  9. My partner in crime, Moranio
  10. My old roomate, Alisha
8. Top Ten Things I miss about Canada:
  1. Saturday morning breakfast at Maggies (the hotspot of all breakfast restaurants in Toronto!!!) and all the Spanish cuties who work there.
  2. Going to church with my parents and then heading to Teddy's for brocolli soup and to see our favorite waitresses.
  3. Sparring with Egerton and laughing at his silly jokes as I get my butt kicked with those suicide side-of-the-ring push-ups.. and his hilarious "originally Egerton" dance moves.
  4. Riding my BMX bike and doing silly bike tricks for laughs.Training with the big boys at System Fitness.
  5. All the downtown street festivals and cultural events... Taste of the Danforth, Shakespeare in the Park, etc.
  6. Getting into trouble with Moranio. Whether it was spontaniously jumping into the city fountain, dodging various "fans" of mine, or getting totally dolled up for a social event, we always had fun.
  7. Late night talks with my former boss Rooster. I worked at his rough club for 3 years and he always took care of me, amused me, and taught me many things about life. Thank you!
  8. Bubble baths in a real bathtub!
  9. The lake... walks on the boardwalk, boardwalk restaurants, sitting in the sand or at the end of the dock, and heart-to-heart talks with friends!!!
9. Top Ten things I want to do when I go to Canada:
  1. Visit Tim Horton's!!!
  2. Hit the gym with the big boys!
  3. Sit at Starbucks with my Bloor West boys and catch up on old times.
  4. Spend one whole day getting to know my little niece, Elizabeth.
  5. Dinner date with Curmudgeon.
  6. Have a home-cooked meal with my whole family.
  7. Experience one more 911 Wednesday with Moranio.
  8. Bra shopping... hahaha! (Hey, you live in Korea for 2 years and you'll experience the same desparation!)
  9. Go ice skating with big boy Pete and push him into a snow bank.. ha, ha, ha.
10. Shhh.. it's a secret. I'll tell you on December 6th!!!

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What have I learned?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Let each one examine his thoughts, and he will find them all occupied with the past and the future. We scarcely ever think of the present; and if we think of it, it is only to take light from it to arrange the future. The present is never our end. The past and the present are our means; the future alone is our end. So we never live; and, as we are always preparing to be happy, it is inevitable we should never be so,
-- Pascal, Pensees

No comments: