As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Wednesday, October 25

1. I’ve been Yong Chan free for two days now and yet the thought of him still lingers in my head! As my co-teacher and I left Eumbong Middle School to go to Wollang, I sa a US army truck with older Korean man driving it. He had parked it at the end of the school driveway and was standing in the middle of the road. I was so convinced he was here because of Yong Chan and so I hid my face.
2. Returned to Eumbong super curious and nervous as to whether or not that Korean man was there for me. Turns out I’ve just got back nerves and he has bad directions… ㅋㅋㅋ. What a relief!
3. Today in my elementary classes we held a drama contest. Charlie’s group one due to Charlie’s for his role as the father and his prize-winning flip on the stage… oh my gosh. The flip was scripted but the aching back and the inability to get up wasn’t. Don’t worry, he’s ok.
4. Change of bus schedule... now the elementary students from my classes are on it and so I was so happy. My Wollang elementary kids have such positive energy and their energy is delicious food for my soul.
5. On my way home from school today I made an amazing discovery and was quite perplexed by it. I can't apply to Baekseck University... many of my grade 6 elementary kids are going to be Eumbong Middle School students next year and I don’t want our fun times to end! I really was curious about the university position but am very happy with the students I have now. I don’t want to have to keep meeting new students every year
6. No sign of Curmudgeon... hmm. Yesterday he surprised me by calling me from Canada. It was super sweet of him to do so but I was left super confused when he hung up. Did I miss something? Hmm...
7. Lately I've been trying to think of an English name for Kim Tae. So far, I like Tait, Jedrek, and Dakota. Tait means “cheerful”, Jedrek means “strong, manly” and Dakota means “friend”. I personally really favour the Polish name Tait.
8. Out of curiousity, I started to search out the meanings of various names of some of my friends. Turns out Jung Hyoi's English name, Koosy is short for "Koosalagoopagoop"… ㅋㅋㅋ. The name Koosalagoopagoop has no real meaning but was the name of a fictional creature on the animated series Dexter's Laboratory. Koosy was very large (but was capable of changing to any size), had wings, a heart on his stomach, and a rainbow-colored nose and Koosy also wore glasses and liked to assist Dee Dee in annoying Dexter. Hmm… I don’t see any connection.
9. I have unofficially changed Ryan's name to Oberon, or so I’m trying to make him accept it. After continually struggling with his Korean name and being frustrated with his mainstream English name, I picked a new one...Oberon… ㅋㅋㅋ. So far he's hesitant to respond to it cause he doesn't like the meaning of the name. I on the other hand think the meaning is funny and so appropriate.
10. Due to my last name, Berezowski, I’m quite familiar with all the nicknames involving “bear”. Let’s see, there’s Baby Bear, Little Bear, Yorky Bear (my university was York), Bear Cub, and my most notorious nickname… Bere-Bum, which, when I was young, was more appropriately Bare-Bum… ㅋㅋㅋ. Now in regards to the name Oberon, it is the English variant of the French name Auberon, meaning "elf bear"... ㅋㅋㅋ. Ryan's a bear now too... an elf bear…ㅋㅋㅋ In Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream," Oberon was the name of the king of the fairies.... I like it and if you saw his dance moves, you’d understand…ㅋㅋㅋ


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What does your name mean?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them.
-- Albert Einstein

No comments: