As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Friday, November 3

1. Bad Boy Bryan in my elementary grade 5 class today really tested my patience. Finally I kicked him out of class but was quick to rescue him when I saw his homeroom teacher walking down the hall. She walked in, asked me if everything was all right and Bryan nearly peed his pants (he fears her). She’s notorious for beating the students. I told her everything was alright.
2. I don’t know if my elementary girls lack physical affection at home or what but they’re always so eager to touch me! I’m serious! They love giving me back massages, holding my hand, touching my eye lashes, some even rub my arms when I wear short sleeves and they always fight over who’ll get to comb my hair. They’re so cute!
3. Was pleasantly surprised today at work by my buddy Mr. Education Office Man. He occasionally visits my school for business and whenever he comes he always searches me out at school. He’s super sweet and he tries so hard to practice his English on me. Last time he visited me I had told him I loved banana milk and so he brought me one today. Awesome!
4. With no classes or plans for the whole afternoon, I preoccupied myself with chatting on msn with my friend Big B, studying Korean online, and working on my novel.
5. Apparently I have a big fan who’s been speaking high of me and my teaching and so I got offered an interview at Kyeong He University. They’re eager to meet me and the job is pretty much mine for the taking but I’m hesitant to even give it any attention cause it’s in Suwon and so it’s out of my way. Moreover, I don’t want to leave Cheonan and I have a sweet job already. Many of my elementary kids will be coming to my middle school next year and so it’d be pretty cool to see them through the transition. Mind ya, this would do wonders for my resume in the future!!!
6. Stayed late at school preparing for Monday’s big open house. Apparently my school is going to be flooded with various big names from the education board and various parents on Monday. This means fewer classes to teach on Monday… cool!
7. While driving home with Mrs. Math Teacher, we swung by the gas station for gas. She ALWAYS gets a kick out of the young gas attendants there who swarm her car and stare curiously at me. She sat there giggling as the one guy just stood there watching me like a hawk. Oh please… take a picture, it lasts longer. Stop it!
8. Dinner with Byung Hyuk and Kim Tae. Kim Tae showed up on time (that’s a first!) and Byung Hyuk showed up wearing eye glasses… wow! I love glasses on a guy!
9. Byung Hyuk joked about Kim Tae’s girlfriend and told me she looked exactly like Kim Tae but with long hair. So, of course I imagined it and had a good laugh at it cause Kim Tae is a cute guy but would be an ugly girl. Apparently Kim Tae didn’t find it too funny.
10. Felt like a fool when Kim Tae blurted out he didn’t have a girlfriend. I felt terrible for making a joke about it earlier and so it made for an uncomfortable time afterward. Kim Tae I am sorry. You’re so incredibly innocent, please don’t change.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Where's your glasses Kim Tae?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
An apology is the superglue of life. It can repair just about anything.
-- Lynn Johnston

No comments: