As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Sunday, November 12

1. Came to the realization that this year I don’t want to celebrate Christmas. Last year I was able to surprise my family and travel to Canada but this year I’m not able to. I have to work the day after Christmas and so this will be my first year without my family. My intentions were to go Christmas shopping today but that was a flop. It’s going to be impossible to get into the Christmas mood this year.
2. So my trip out to Seoul, which was intended for Christmas shopping, turned into a field day of window shopping and testing out numerous street vendor goodies. I waited about 15 minutes in line to taste the original hyukdock (it’s like a deep fried pancake with brown sugar in the middle) but then decided to go to it’s second-rated competition.
3. Found total amusement and fascination in watching this one Korean man make noodles in the restaurant front window. What a workout!..ㅋㅋㅋ.
4. After testing out various street vendor foods and drinking an ultra sugary Starbucks coffee, I got sick. My stomach hurt so much. I wasn’t amused. Ryan tried to cheer me up buy taking (and when I say “taking” here I really mean “stealing”) the world’s smallest Korean Starbucks cup. I guess when you pay an arm and a leg for a coffee you at least deserve to keep the cup, or so he argued… ㅋㅋㅋ.
5. After spending the whole day in Insadong, I am convinced that Americans and Canadians are the biggest of humans! Wow… I guess that’s what fast food, milk and lots of meat does to you! I’ve never been a fan of fast food but I’m a milk-a-holic!!! Thankfully I’m Polish/Austrian and have the body of a typical Polish girl; short and small. Mind ya, Byung Hyuk and Kim Tae would probably beg to differ or would probably add “smelly feet” to that…ㅋㅋㅋ.
6. Seems like every time I come to Seoul I end up getting hugged by some random stranger… ㅋㅋㅋ. Today it was a big pretty teddy bear who hugged me. She gave me one of her best bear hugs… so cute… ㅋㅋㅋ.
7. I sense a pattern another pattern evolving with regards to my trips to Seoul… a very bad pattern actually. Last time I came to Seoul with Ryan I ended up getting stuck here, well, guess what happened tonight?! We had got into a little spat regarding my friends (silly spat actually) and he ended up walking away with the bus tickets. The bus was to leave at 9:15pm and so at 9:10pm I walked over to the bus.
8. As I approached the bus, the driver asked me for my ticket. I didn’t have it, Ryan had it. Of course, had I been able to tell him this in Korean there wouldn’t have been a problem. Mind ya, had Ryan had spoken up to the driver or had waited for me, it’d be a different story too. So there I stood and there the bus went. It drove off without me but with Ryan sitting comfortably in his seat. As you can guess, I wasn’t impressed! Oh my gosh!
9. There was NO way I was going to get stuck in Seoul again and so I thought fast, headed over to Seoul Station and got myself a KTX ticket. I ended up getting stuck sitting beside Mr. Drunk Soju Man who must have said hi to me like a million times. I tried to be polite and ignore him but ended up flicking him in the forehead when he didn’t listen to me in Korean.
10. Arrived in Cheonan and was surprisingly quite amused at my situation. Got picked up at the train station by one of my favourite Koreans (guess who…ㅋㅋㅋ), had a nice chat with him and then went home to bed.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Who's reading this?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Men should be like Kleenex, soft, strong and disposable.
-- Cher

No comments: