As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, December 25, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Christmas 2006

1. It’s Christmas… Bah humbug! Despite my attempt to sleep the day away, I was woken up bright and early by one of my elementary students who thought she’d be cute and text message my phone at 7am… numerous times!
2. Needless to say, I couldn’t fall back asleep. In between hiding under the covers and my phone going crazy with text messages, I failed in my mission to hibernate today. So I sprang out of my bed and ripped open Kim Tae’s gift.
3. Last night Kim Tae nervously gave me a Christmas present. I had told him to please not get me anything but men, they never listen…ㅋㅋㅋ. He had wrapped it in total girly flower paper and so it looked quite pretty. He had told me that it was the first gift he ever bought for a girl and so I was super curious as to what it was. Are you curious…ㅋㅋㅋ.
4. My favourite part of his gift was actually the card. I never really liked cards in the past but now I’m all about them. It’s the most personal part of any gift. But, Kim Tae’s card caught me off guard. I opened it but inside I saw no message, so strange. It wasn’t until a while later than I realized why he had included a pen with the gift. His message had been written using special ink (it requires a black light to read it)… so cool!
5. The next and final gift I opened was the one sent from my parents. You can imagine my excitement when I ripped open the package and there, nestled among numerous other goodies, were two zip-lock bags with REAL Kraft dinner macaroni and cheese! Awesome!
6. Chatted on msn with my good buddy Errol and was totally excited to hear that he’s thinking of returning to Korea in 2008… awesome!
7. Hit a low point around noon when I realized I was spending Christmas alone. Friends had asked to spend time with me but I thought I’d be better off alone, I was wrong.
8. Snapped myself out of my silly mood and turned into a lean, mean, super freak cleaning machine…ㅋㅋㅋ. Within two hours, I had done all my laundry, washed the walls, cleaned the floors, scrubbed down the entire bathroom, and my house was so clean you could have eaten off any surface… ok, maybe it wasn’t that clean, but it was pretty clean.
9. By early evening I came to the realization that Christmas was coming to an end and this wasn’t how I wanted to remember it. Called up Kim Tae and off we went in search of the perfect restaurant for a good Christmas meal. Low and behold, there stood “A Bis Restaurant”. It’s this beautiful huge house that’s been turned into an Italian pasta restaurant. I’ve seen it many times before but always thought it’d be so expensive. I was wrong. The prices were awesome and it was so much more beautiful inside than I had imagined it to be. It was perfect!
10. Ended my Christmas with a phone call to my parents out in Canada. It was great to talk to them but it made me miss them so much. We reminisced about how last year I showed up out of the blue and surprised them just as it was approaching midnight on Christmas Eve. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to top that surprise! Kim Tae humoured me by chatting with my parents and so that was nice. I thought he would be too shy to talk to them and so I was really impressed. He’s heard me tell him so many stories about my family and so I’m sure he feels like he already knows them.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
How will Christmas be next year?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Take Christ out of Christmas, and December becomes the bleakest and most colorless month of the year.
-- A. F. Wells

No comments: