As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Saturday, December 23

1. My attempt to sleep in late and continue my Saturday tradition of doing so, was killed today. Be for-warned people… I don’t like early Saturday mornings.
2. Turns out my buddy Gangster boy ran into Yong Chan. Yong Chan “claims” he’s got a girlfriend… ya, like I believe that. Anyway, supposedly her name is Amy, she’s a Canadian and is an English teacher… what a coincidence!!! That’s borderline stalker and is just as freaky as when an ex-boyfriend of mine cheated on me with a girl that looked exactly like me! She resembled me so much that even my own friend couldn’t tell it was her instead of me in a picture I found.
3. I GOT IT… I GOT IT… I REALLY GOT IT…. Dankook University called me today and informed me that out of all the applicants, they loved me!!! I know I should have jumped at the chance to say yes but I hesitated and instead, I told them I’d call them back in a hour.
4. Who else could I call for some honest advice than my very own parents. My mom told me that when I come home to Canada in January, she'll cook up a Christmas dinner for us. Troy will bring his family (Cara and Elizabeth), Robbie will come up from New York, I'll be home from Korea and so it'll be us Berezowskis together once again. I'm definitely looking forward to mom's Polish cabbage rolls! Oh ya! My mom's already even prepared my favorite cookies... her notorious mocha balls!
5. An hour later, I called Dankook University back and accepted the offer. I still don’t know if I’m happy or sad about the decision. Accepting their offer means I’d be giving up an already sweet job. I have no idea on how I’m going to break the news to Mrs. Jeoung, my supervisor, or my students. Oh my gosh… it’s going to make for a really hard and emotional week next week!
6. Thanks to everyone who’s been sending me congrats but I’m still shocked about the whole situation. I should note that congrats are also definitely in order for my co-worker, Mrs. E. After 6 months of intense studying, various interviews and gruelling tests, she competed against 46 other teachers and succeeded for the promotion… awesome! I’m so proud of her!
7. Kim Tae treated me out for a celebration meal at the Pumpkin Restaurant where I was highly distracted and amused by the little kid sitting beside me. He had the cutest little head of perma hair, was very fashionably dressed, but he was so confused by me. I take it he’s never really seen a foreigner before….ㅋㅋㅋ. Korean kids are the cutest!
8. I wanted to go out and do something but we were stumped for what to do and so at 9pm we decided to take a two hour drive out to Daecheon Beach (the Yellow Sea). Surprisingly enough, it wasn’t windy or as cold when we were standing on the beach compared to the streets. We stolled along the beach, sipped on our juices and joked around. We humoured ourselves with fireworks and had lots of laughs when I almost hit some dude with a rocket firecracker….ㅋㅋㅋ.
9. Ran into one of Kim Tae and Byung Hyuk’s friend while we were walking on the beach. He’s also from Cheonan. His girlfriend was super nervous to talk to me and so she stood behind him giggling.
10. On the way home I totally crashed in the car. We had left the beach a little after midnight. At one point along our route home however, I woke up and had a mini panic attack as I opened my eyes and realized I couldn’t see anything! Turns out we had hit a huge fog cloud. We couldn’t see anything, no road markings, no cars beside us,…nothing. I consider Kim Tae an incredaibly loyal friend and so I knew he’d be extra careful with me in the car. Sure enough, he got me home safe and sound.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What are you doing for Christmas?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love!
-- Hamilton Wright Mabie

No comments: