As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Sunday, December 24

For your amusement, here's my rendition of The Night before Christmas
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

-- by Amy Berezowski

‘Twas the night before Christmas, yet all through my place,
No sense of the season; no sight, sound, nor taste.
No stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
Cause a, there’s no chimney, and b, I don’t care;
(And c, I’m too old to believe that St. Nick will be here).
Instead I was tossing and turning up in my bed,
With a nightmare of my cousin that played in my head;
With mama in Canada, and me over here,
I prayed that Christmas would forget me this year.

When out in the hall there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the door I flew like a flash,
Threw on some make-up and put on a sash.
Had Christmas arrived? But where’s the snow?
And what’s with this weather, it’s not even below!
Then what to my wondering eyes should I see,
But my dear friend Kim Tae standing before me.
With a bucket of ice cream and a present he had picked
I thought for a moment, “He’s the Korean St. Nick!”

More rapid than eagles from Asan he had came,
And he whistled, and giggled, and called out my name;
“Now, Amy! Babo! What’s this I hear?
You don’t want to celebrate Christmas this year?
What a terrible discovery; what a terrible claim;
You should know better than to curse Christmas’ name!

“But”, I cried out, “Christmas this year, it just can’t be,
With no dad, no mom, no Troy or Robbie.
And what about Ryan, he’s way out in Seoul,
I’m here broken hearted and that’s taken it’s toll!
How can I be happy, how can I have cheer?
When they’re over there and I’m alone here!
So you see Mr. Korean St. Nick, as much as you try,
I don’t want Christmas”, and with that I did cry.

“Now Amy, dear Amy. Don’t cry, can’t you see,
That Christmas is here so please celebrate with me;
Don’t think of the bad things, just think of the good,
Cause that’s what your father always said you should.
So dry up your tears and put on your best smile,
Put on that smile that stretches a mile!

And so there we stood alone in my place,
And I knew in my heart that it was by God’s grace;
That I would have a friend so patient, a friend so dear,
A friend that would love me, and hold me so near.
Close to his heart and always in his mind,
A friend like that is definitely one of a kind.

“Let’s make the most of it” said Kim Tae with cheer,
And so we headed to a church that was quite near.
But when we walked in, all the people walked out,
“Great show this year!” I heard one guy shout.
The show had finished, there was nothing left to see,
I thought to myself, “This isn’t right, this just can’t be”.
We then went to Kimbab Nala and feasted away,
I tried to be happy but my mind did stray.
My eyes filled with tears and I knew in my heart,
This isn’t the end of Christmas, it’s only just the start;
Christmas this year would be hard, that’s true.
But with friends like Kim Tae, I can make it though.

He’s tall and he’s cute, but not at all an elf,
And I laugh when I see him, in spite of myself.
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Always reassures me I have nothing to dread;
So despite my heartache and all my tears;
Despite not being with family, like previous years,
I’ll try to enjoy Christmas, I’ll try with all my might,
So Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!

7 comments:

Beloved said...

This is fantastic! Don't you feel so much better after writing it?

I'm sorry you're "alone" during the holidays--I know how hard it is being so far away from family during this time of year.

CONGRATS on getting and accepting the university position! You're going to have a blast.

Anonymous said...

Amy, why you're even thinking of Ryan during this time is beyond me. He's proven that he can't be man enough to help you through this hard holiday.
Like you always said, if you really want something, you'd do anything to get it.
Forget him.

권투선수 에이미 [Amy] said...

Thanks... your comment REALLY cheered me up...not.

I'd appreciate it if you please don't bash Ryan. It takes two to tango and so I'm to blame to for the heartache I find myself in.

Ryan's not a bad person. I consider him incrediably intelligent and I've never loved anyone as much as him. So, despite my heartache, I still hold him dear in my heart and pray for him everyday. Honestly, I'm past wanting to feel any hard feelings and am just hoping to move on without any more problems.

I wish him the best for the holiday and am sure he's feeling sad too. Please don't hieghten things or make things worse.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Wow Amy -- I'm really proud of you. I know how hard it probably was for you to write that. Awesome.
I think he realizes his lost but I think you should just be careful. You have a sweet-tooth for this guy. I'd hate to see you get hurt again.
Please try to make the most of the holiday. Call up your buddies and make a fun day of it. You deserve a great day.
I miss you so much and have stored up a lot of hugs for you when you come visit Canada.
Merry Christmas sweety!
God Bless ya too cutie.

Anonymous said...

Love the poem but am waiting for your novel.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you're still writing Amy. You always loved writing in high school. Do you still write children's poems? Maybe you can write one for my daughter. She'll be three soon and is quite the little monkey.

Anonymous said...

I could only wish I'd be in that poem, though we've never met. Having said that, I think it is time I leave a comment on your homepage. I have been reading it for some time now and I don't miss a day.
Keep writing and I'll keep reading.