As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Highlights of my Day... Sunday, December 14

1. It’s been exactly a week since I started that silly BIGGEST LOSER competition with Panty Boy but, to tell you the truth, it’s not so silly after all. I mean, my body has changed a lot in the past week and I’m feeling rather greedy with the results… I want more. I definitely want more!

2. No weigh-in today… I wanted to, I REALLY wanted to but both my weight training gym and boxing club were closed.

3. Mi Nam’s been doing the strangest thing lately when we’re out for walks. He’s been sniffing car tires like some kind of crack baby. Not all tires though, just ones with what appears to be some kind of break fluid or whatnot leaking from them. Can’t be having him do that!

4. After a week of hard training and even harder dieting, I figure I was good to go to indulge in some strawberries with Old Man Sambu. After all, Sunday is the day I allow myself a cheat meal. I use to have cheat days but after finding out how bad that is for the effects of my training, I opted out of that and went for allowing myself cheat meals instead.

5. Usually it’s me giving Old Man Sambu ice cream and banana milk but today he approached me near the elevator and asked me if I wanted some strawberries and a small piece of bread. It’s not that I couldn’t resist the strawberries and bread, it was him that I couldn’t resist. He’s probably approaching 50, if not higher, but he was just too cute with how he asked me.

6. Staple-Stomach called me today to ask me if I knew Busan Boy, of course I know Busan Boy, we kind of were a thing for a couple of months… like over a year ago. It was a short lived thing and despite him living way down in Busan, it probably would have been a long thing had he not gone stalker-style on me. I kid you not, when I tried to break it off with him, he called me so many times my phone couldn’t hack it and so it flat-lined for awhile. Note to all you out there, as soon as the guy (or girl) drops the “… but we’re meant to be together” line that should be your exit quo. Anyways, that’s not the story I was leading into, so… turns out Busan Boy has been texting Staple-Stomach’s ex-now-turned-recent girlfriend. Friends with stalker-style Busan Boy… hmmm… I sense yellow flags there.

7. Finally found a tea that’s convinced me that tea ain’t so bad… ginseng peppermint tea from Coffee Bean. Kind of a weird combo mix, I know, but it’s pretty good. For a while there I was feeling rather deprived that I can’t drink my lovely latte’s and fabulous frappachinos but the ginseng peppermint tea is pretty good.

8. Got done to business today with calculating student final grades. The university has a rule that a maximum of 30% of the students in each class can get an A and only 40% can get Bs. For the most part my marks vary but in classes like my Tuesday morning class, nursing students class, and one of my Wednesday morning classes where the students are all very comfortable and super active in class, it’s so incredibly difficult. In these classes I basically am being forced to make many of my A level students B students and some of my B level students C students. I know it’s not fair to them, we ALL know that but rules are rules, those are Dankook’s rules and I am simply but a messenger, forced to abide. Moreover, the university’s grading site on their homepage doesn’t let you enter in more than 30% As and 40% Bs so even if I wanted to I can’t.

9. Ended up heading out to the movies with Side Side, his sister Croutons, the Texas Giant, and their coworker. We watched “Twilight” which was definitely not worth the $7 but we all had fun cracking comments during the movie. Us girls were particularly interested in the character “Eric” but couldn’t quite figure out if he was Korean or Chinese. I googled him later on and found out he is Chinese. Korean, Chinese… whatever, he’s Asian and he was a cutie!!! The main girl should have gone for him and his cheesy “she’s my homegirl” lines instead of the overly pasty white dude with the funky eyebrows who sat in the corner.

10. Unlike me, the others showed up right in time for the movie and so I ended up being the only one with food and a drink. And just their luck, I’m not into popcorn or all those other movie goodies, so they were stuck settling for peanuts and water… hehehe. Midway through the movie, Side Salad caved in and ran to get butter popcorn and pop. I sat in the middle of the group and so every couple of minutes the large carton of butter popcorn would pass my way. Side Salad kept on offering it to me but my continual response was “I like my body thanks”, in which he’d respond “I like it too… hehehe”. I wasn’t trying to be rude and he didn’t take it that way either. I’m no longer easily tempted by food though, like I once was. I still have cravings, don’t get me wrong, but my cravings are for starchy carbohydrates, like sweet potatoes and the new strawberry crisp cereal I eat in the morning.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Who actually thought "Twilight" was a good movie?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Death is peaceful, easy. Life is harder.
-- from the movie "Twilight"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Twilight has been made fun of for weeks now. Cartoons, reviews, etc. Its really a movie for american teenage girls. Good book, bad movie.
-That's a messed up grading system. It should be percentiles, as in 93.6% and 97.8%, instead of just A. That way you could have 100 A students, but with the decimal, you'd have certain people a tiny bit better than others. Which I suppose is equally unfair. Im not sure.
-Bman

권투선수 에이미 [Amy] said...

Hey B-Man,
Really?!... hehehe... no doubt about that actually. It was pretty brutal. Ya, I hear that the book is pretty good. My friend Homegirl is reading it but she's going to be greatly disappointed by the movie :(
I hear ya about the grading system. I think it's directed more so to the Korean professors who try to win popularity by dishing out lots of high grades. I'm always sure to tell my students their exact percents though but ya, it's not fair.