As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Hiroshima Drops on My World... Wednesday, February 20

Today was a stressful day, unlike any day before. 

I can't help but laugh at when I think of the stress of other foreigners here.  Most of them really don't know what stress is, or so I am convinced. I envy them sometimes for their so-called stress... but then I don't.  I know the stress I'm sporting now is the price I'm paying for pursuing my dream.

If fighting for the rights of the initial boxing club building was stressful than what went down today was the Hiroshima of stress -- explosive, unexpected, and it could quite possibly destroy everything... everything. We'll find out in exactly two days what the after effects of today's Hiroshima.

Snickers is all about destiny, he's a firm, firm believer in it.  "Destiny... it lead me to you", is the point he's been reminding me off these days whenever he sees me starting to get stressed.  Yes, destiny.  I do believe in it.  I believe that there's a reason for everything and that everything has it's due time.  Having said this, I believe that it's our due time for our boxing club to come all together.  To be so close to it yet so far at the same time, so frustrating.  

Legally, I can't get into the details of what went down today but my nerves are definitely hanging on a string.

Tonight I was supposed to have ROBO Time -- a Running Our Butts Off run with Flipside Fitness.  One lady canceled with three minutes to the run and after waiting almost thirty minutes for another to show up, I texted her and told her to go back.  It was just flat out nonsense.  Perhaps I needed the run more than them -- I needed to get out of the house and get some fresh air to clear my head and take my mind off of today's drama. 

The run never did happen but I'm sure to feel extremely sore in the chest from today's over exhaustion with my in-house chest workout... yikes.  

Later in the evening, when I was struggling to pick up myself among the debre of Hiroshima, I got a most random text message on Kakao Talk.  I don't know how she got my number or knew to check for me on Kakao Talk but a friend of my mother's texted me.  

"Hey, I'm a friend of your mom from Oshawa.  Your dad said "hello" to you.  It's simple."  

She's a Korean lady that goes to the same church that my parents went to and that my father still attends.  My parents have spoken about her many times to me but I've yet to meet her.  My parents are quite proud to note of any Korean in their life actually, it's quite amusing.  Apparently a Korean man and his wife moved in across the street from my father and, upon realizing this, my father went right over and introduced himself.  Perhaps the fact that my hometown in Canada is nicknamed "White-bee" plays a part here.  

Turns out she's in Korea, visiting family, and wants to take me out for dinner.  The city in which she's staying for the next month is about a two hour drive but I'm eager to meet her if not to share memories of my mom but also to send her back to her home in Canada with stories to tell my father.  

No comments: