As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Flying Pigs Are Just Crazy Talk... Thursday, February 28


Somewhere among scrapping out dog poop from the bottom of my rain boots and pretending to ride Khan like a pony, Snickers managed to direct our casual chatting to talk about having a baby.

SNIC: “What is your baby plan?”
ME: “My what?!”
SNIC: “What is your baby plan? When you give me baby?”
ME: “My baby plan?!... to keep on dodging nonsense-like questions like this.”
SNIC: “I don’t know ‘dodging’ and ‘nonsense’.”
ME: “You dodge a boxer’s punch by weaving and nonsense is believing pigs fly.”
SNIC: “My baby question is like me punching you and pigs flying?!”
ME: “Yes… exactly!”
SNIC: “But I don’t punch you!”
ME: “So then don’t ask me that question.”
SNIC: “That’s crazy talk!”
ME: “Yes… exactly. Now ask me a question again that isn’t crazy talk.”
SNIC: “No, it’s ok… my Western woman, you hurt my head”.

Snickers is convinced that if the population of the human race was up to women-only that we’d be the last of our kind, I’m sure of it. He’s always telling his buddies “Western woman, too strong, like man” and though I’m sure I could be insulted, I am flattered though not all Western woman are strong nor are all Korean women weak. 

As for my real answer though, what is my baby plan, it’s not to keep on dodging nonsense-like questions like this because it’s really not nonsense, instead it’s to deal with it later down the road (as I add “if I have to” to that answer). 

I’m throwing a baby this weekend for a friend, how ironic is that?! I’m hoping to kick Snickers out of the house because I’m sure he’ll go all goggly-eyed when the little one shows up and I’m suspecting others may put me in the spotlight by asking me “When are you having a baby?” 

Oh the baby question. I’m cool with people having babies, sure, if my mom didn’t have one then I wouldn’t be here, but I've never seen me personally having one in my future. I have a dream, I'm living my dream, and having a baby at this point in it just seems like an unwanted commercial break.  It's like when you’re at the climax of a movie on tv and they go to a commercial. I’m climaxing in my dream, in my life, and I’ll be damned if a commercial break interrupts it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your mixed-message communication and English babble. Cute couple.