As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Never a Dull Day

ONE WORD:  FRUSTRATION
Oh my the frustrations continue with our side parking lot.  Note the no parking sign the car is parking in front of here is pretty much the same size of it!!!  And yes, I know, I know, get no parking stickers.  Easy enough said but when the list of bills and things to pay off continues to rise, I think I'll stick to testing out my blood pressure and office printer.
ONE WORD:  SPOILED
This was my meal five of six today.  Snickers and I splurged and treated ourselves to a call food order that cost us about $10... and yes, I wrote "splurged".  As cheap as this meal was it's a once or twice a week treat to us because, well, didn't you read about the no parking stickers?!  Exactly.
ONE WORD:  INSPIRATIONAL
Posed a challenge to a small group of my members today and called it the 40's Club.  "Do you want to join the 40's Club?" I asked them.  The challenge was for them to do 40 pull-ups on the squat bar rack.  At first they all protested and said they couldn't do such a challenge but then I further explained it.  The deal was for them to do the 40 pull-ups but in different sets of reps.
1st set was 11 reps, then 9, 7, 5, 3, and last set was 5 reps = 40 reps.
They ALL did rocked my challenged and successfully joined my 40's Club!!!
ONE WORD: ADMIRING
Ya, I occassionally put my boots up on the juice bar and if you don't like it, well, you can take it up with management.  Oh wait... that's me;)  I was caught in the act here, watching some of my members training.  I was admiring their hard work.  It's very cool to see members doing something that I've taught them, to see them enjoying it and see their bodies changing as a result.
ONE WORD:  CHANGING
I think one of the biggest challenges with training my members is to get them to think about food differently and to get them to understand and respect the need for eating clean.  In addition to encouraging members to bring their own post training meals and/or enjoy our juice bar smoothies, as of today we've now started stocking our fridge with milk boxes.  They're not exactly for sale but instead are for those particular members who we know are not eating after training, like my Poster Child Girl whose mother refuses to feed her after training because, ironically enough, she's labelled food the enemy.

No comments: