As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Upping the Feminine Side of Me... Saturday, July 20

With our camping trip postponed till next Saturday and today being my day off, I was kind of lost at what to do. I ended up going to the boxing club, twice actually. Once to grab Snickers' shoes and then super late in the evening to use the office computer for something I've got up my sleeve -- wink, wink.

It was a very, very, beyond lazy day especially considering we pulled a movie date night last night and stayed up to about 5am watching "Flight".  It was a much needed lazy day though.  Nothing quite like getting up after 2pm, only to make your way from the bed to the couch and then remain there for another 2-3 hours.  Ended up watching "Flight" all over again on account that Snickers zoned out last night and missed about half of it.

And nothing quite says lazy than being too lazy to cook or make proper snacks so my snacks for the movie consisted gnawing on some grilled chicken I made the other day and some spinach leafs.  Ya,.. it looked just as barbaric as it sounded.  I may have been exhausted/lazy but I wasn't about to kill my clean eating.  I'm a no-excuse kind of gal. 

A couple of hours after pure veggie out on the couch and I was ready to start the day.  Snickers called up La Cubo Restaurant, told them we'd be there in thirty and with that I jumped into the shower and got dolled up.  Snickers, standing in his ripped 3/4 length jeans and tattooing peaking out of his plain t-shirt, protested, saying I was way too dressed up.  My usual "dressing up" these days means wearing high heels and you know I'm really dressed up when I wear my wedding ring.  Honestly, I think the last time I recall wearing my wedding ring was at the Hulk's Boxing Grand Opening Party.  So today's outfit -- a lacey white number that's borderline too short and too tight, matched with high heels and my wedding ring -- was beyond dressed up for me.  

"Sometimes a girl just has to feel like a woman" I told Snickers. 

He didn't really understand what I meant but instead stood there starring at me while I wiggled around the clothes in a dress that really wasn't meant for much movement beyond standing looking pretty.  Snickers pulled on it every so often while I blow dried my hair and did a couple of step back looks to see if the dress appropriately "protected girl parts" as he put it.  

I'm always amused when people who only really know me from my boxing or boxing club see me outside of my training clothes.  When we stopped by Hulk's today to get Snickers' shoes some of the neighboring store owners caught glimpse of me and came out to comment.  "Are you going to box in that?!" the Corner Godfather joked.  "I'll be lucky if I can even sit down in this" I told him.  

It felt good to be out of training clothes because I've started to envy random girls on the street -- them in their high heels, make-up all done up so pretty and hair looking glamour-gal perfect.  I want to look pretty like that too.  I really have become one of the boys and, though I must admit I like it, I also must admit that it's nice to remind them every once in awhile that I am a woman.  Heck, I think I sometimes need the reminder more than anyone!!!  I think maybe Snickers needs a reminder too, truthfully speaking, because there was a moment in the car when I did get sad, knowing that I had got all dolled up for a dinner date I was craving yet he couldn't even be bothered to slip into something beyond relaxed jeans and runners.  Perhaps this is one of the downfalls of working and working out together, then going home together -- we're very comfortable.  We still have our moments of flirtatious glances and sweet talk but I don't want to become like so many other married couples we know whose romance dies off and they just "let themselves go" so to speak.  I still very much want Snickers to look at me and think "Damn, that's my wife!!!"  Today I definitely succeeding in doing that.  He was kind of a nervous wreck at the restaurant, watching to make sure my dress didn't get too much attention and I must say I liked that.  A little reminder every once in awhile of what you have is always good because even though I'm surely not going anywhere you never do appreciate what you have till it's gone.  It's never to late to try though.

No comments: