As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, September 08, 2013

Spoiled with Solid Company... Sunday, September 8

Am feeling a bit spoiled... and I love it;)

Last night I had a Girlz Nite Out and it was filled with both expected and unexpected friends.  I won't go into the details of the event because, well, what goes on at Girlz Nite Out stays with Girlz Nite Out, but I will say this... it was great.  It was a pretty cool to meet up with a good solid crew of friends who really want nothing more from me than genuine friendship and fun, and weren't all about drama or petty issues.  They say that people either inspire you or drain you, choose wisely and last night I did exactly that -- I chose wisely.  

I've been feeling a bit of stress lately because of work and a particular odd type of people it has been attracting.  I can't say I have many negative people in my life, I've been quite overly blessed.  However, for every four people who cheer me on and add positiveness to my life and business, there are two people either wanting to see me fail or wanting to milk in on my success.  Whether it's people asking me for handouts, hookups or assuming I'll go the extra mile, it's always interesting to note the skewed idea they have of me.  Last week I had five people, three of whom I've never met before, ask me for things.  Just because I run Korea's largest boxing club doesn't mean it comes with the largest paycheck... it came with possibly the largest price tag I have ever seen. I still owe over 65 grand to one man so if anyone is needing handouts and freebies I think I can include myself in this list of people.

I am more than happy to help my Hulk members and really want to extend my helping hand to the Cheonan community, especially the foreigners.  But the more and more I carry on with business here, the more and more it's bringing some interesting people out of the wood works, asking me for things.  

Despite my outgoing personality among friends and openness here on my homepage, I am a very private person.  I don't just call everyone and anyone a friend.  I find I've been having to really redefine even more those whom I call friends and lately I find I've been leaning more so on my childhood friends -- friends who knew me before my success.  It's hard to grow stronger relationships with such friends back in Canada because I am so far away and can't exactly hang out with them but it's also been really good in that there's no distraction to leave work early or skip out on working on the weekends to catch up on office work.  

So back to feeling spoiled...

Last night I was spoiled by an amazing crew of friends and then tonight, for Snickers and my date night, we had the super sweet Germany join us.  She's back visiting Korea for a bit so she swung by Hulk's tonight.  We invited her to join us for our usual Sunday date dinner and then we headed out for coffee.  I really do wish she was back in Korea because she knew me before Hulk's and was one of my former boxercise gals.  She's a super sweet gal and it was great to share the evening with her.  We laughed, we giggled, we shared silly stories and had a blast.  I miss super innocent friendships like this, friendships that stemmed from a while back but have remained innocent, fun and have grown stronger with the time that's passed.  She still writes for my Fab Gals Gab -- the Flipside Fitness magazine -- and this week she'll be helping out at Hulk's.  

No comments: