As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Bloody, Silly Sunday... Sunday, November 17

Sundays always seem to be the most interesting of work days at Hulk's and the fact that it's a shorter day has nothing to do with it.  I think perhaps it's because it is the end of the weekend.  Not a lot of members come in to train on Sundays but Sunday training is usually met by relaxed members who tend to bring a sillier side to training. 
 
Today's work Sunday started off with us racing off to Hulk's when the fight before GSP's fight earlier than anticipated and we realized what time it was.  Off to work we sped off, ignoring all the red lights and practically getting air born at the top of the hill by Hulk's. 
 
We love our fights.
 
I won't go into all that I think regarding GSP's fight -- that could use it's own homepage -- and instead will just say it was hard to cheer for GSP and accept his win as a real win.  We screamed at the top of our lungs at Hulk's when they gave the result of the fight.  We screamed so loud in fact that the Corner Godfather outside selling his chicken came in to see if we were ok... hahaha. 
 
But anyways...
 
Today's list of interesting things that went down included a random high jumping contest, a limbo contest, swing time, and a solid couple rounds of touch-down tag that would have gone longer had someone not have ran into one of our mirrors.
 
Oh those mirrors... they're tricky things, especially those pillar mirror separating the boxing area and crossfit section.  Thankfully our weekly numbers of people walking into them have decreased but every so couple of days you hear a loud bang and then see someone blushing.  Yup, another walk-in.
 
For the next ten days, Snickers will be living at Hulk's as he buckles down on his training for the next chapter in his fighting career.  It's a huge step he's taking and to help him be less distracted, I'll be living at our apartment and looking after it and the pups while he lives at Hulk's with Pyen Chi.  Only a few friends know what I'm talking about here and I really don't care for additional people to inquire about it because the next step he's taking makes me uncomfortably nervous.  But I support him and I know that he is the kind of person who once he puts his mind to something there is really no stopping him.  He has proven over and over that if he wants something or wants to do something, if he gets a thought in his mind, he will attack and conquer.  I suppose the proof is in us being married.  He didn't speak a word of English when he first met me but he had convinced himself that he was going to get me and look he got me. 
 
I also refuse to be one of those people who stamps out someone else's aspirations and goals because that's not cool and it'd be so hypercritical of me if I did so.  People called me crazy when I dropped my previous engagement and stayed in Korea.  People called me crazy from coming to Korea in the first place but dropping the so-called "Perfect Man" and the little bubble world he had tried to built around me with his fancy Porches and houses was icing on the crazy cake I was apparently eating.  And don't even get me started with the crazy glue people assumed I was snorting when I announced I wanted to start my own boxing club with little to no cash.
 
I'm ok being labelled crazy if they're ok being called predictably boring and not worth my time. 
 
Technically I am Snickers' manager and should be there to oversee his training but I think perhaps it's best I am not.  He really needs to focus and I think me being worried is just distracting to him.  It's going to be a rough ten days for him but it's going to be a very long ten days for me.

No comments: