As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Love My Sunday's at Hulk's... Sunday, November 24

It was our slowest Sunday ever but that still didn't change the fact that something big always happens on our Sunday's at work.  Today it was the Pacquiao vs. Rios fight that kicked off our work day.  It started right at 2pm, talk about perfect timing.

We screamed, we cheered, we clapped and, when someone asked me if I like Pacquiao, we almost almost lost it.  "Do I like Pacquiao?!" I sarcastically asked, "I've named my dog after him!" 

Pacquiao's victory was one thing that happened today and an hour later it was followed by an extra special delivery and special visit from two friends.  I'm currently working on a little secret for our club members and I've asked one of my friends to help out with a big chunk of it.  Today she dropped off her work and it is a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!  I'll be revealing it later this week so stay tuned. 

K-Gere, my father-in-law, dropped by today while my two friends were visiting and I was a bit embarrassed by what he had brought.  Snickers and I may not be obvious romantics but we are pretty gushy for each other -- we hold hands when we sleep, always kiss before we take that first bite to any meal together, and have daily coffee time together.  We also randomly write love letters to each other.  Apparently one of my first ever love letters to him became a family spectacle back in the day and today I first caught news of this.  Today K-Gere brought a couple of things from Grandpa and Granny-K's house.  Among his little pile of things were tickets to Snickers' past boxing bouts, a diary Snickers used to keep when he was 14, and then there was a love letter I had written Snickers.  As it turns out, Snickers had brought it to a family function to brag about having a girlfriend, a foreign girlfriend.  It'd be one thing if the letter was in English but I've only written one or two English love letters to him, the rest have all been in Korean.  This letter was in Korean, great, so everyone in his family who saw it clearly understood what I wrote. 

I headed out for an early dinner with my two friends that had come to visit and returned to a new member at our club, very cool. 
 
The slowness of the club on Sunday's allows Snickers and I to do other work -- "mental work", I call it.  Today we brainstormed a lot about the possibility of a New Year's Eve party.  We might make it an invite-only party that's more intimate and perhaps have consist of heading out for a fancy dinner together, then coming back to the club for drinks and dancing.  It's still pretty much up in the air but the constant issue we're coming back to is the fact that we do have a lot of under aged members so we have to be mindful of the potential problems.  I'm not cool with the under aged smoking issue some of our younger members participate in so I am definitely not cool with any under aged drinking happening.  Snickers thinks perhaps we should make this an invite-only event as supposed to an event for all of our members, make it a private event, because the fact of the matter is it's just as much our holiday and special occasion as it is theirs.  The plan is to post a poll question on our Hulk's Facebook page and then make a judgement call based on that.  Based on the responses, it'll either be a private or a public event.  Either way, we're having a New Year's Eve party.

No comments: