As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

An Extended Christmas Eve... Tuesday, December 24

This time last year I was convinced I'd be ringing in Christmas Eve in the comfort and coziness of my parents' house out in the Great White North -- Canada.  Instead, I was ringing it in here, in chilly, snow-less Cheonan, South Korea.  And though it wasn't the Christmas Eve I had anticipated, we thought we'd make the best of it by planning a Christmas Movie Party for all our Hulkies and any possible drop-ins.  No one should be alone on Christmas Eve and despite the chilliness of Hulk's, it'd sure beat the chilliness of battling the holidays blues by yourself.

Only a total of 14 people dropped by for our movie party; we had anticipated more.  All the more hot chocolate and popcorn for those that did come though.  We watched "National Lampoons Christmas Vacation" and the Koreans among us laughed the loudest.  We also watched "The Holiday", a sweet movie with a couple of romantic story lines within the main.  Nothing beats a holiday romantic comedy, seriously.  I had anticipated watching my favourite of favourite holiday flicks -- "One Magic Christmas" -- but my dear friend that was helping search out the movies and subtitles couldn't find any Korean subtitles, darn.  Hopefully this time next year Snickers' English will be at the level where he'll be able to watch an English movie minus the need for any subtitles.  

We ended the party shortly after midnight but I refused to wish anyone a real Merry Christmas.  I've always believed that it's not the real holiday until you go to sleep and wake up to it.  Having said that, Snickers' and my Christmas Eve celebrating lasted way longer than anticipated and it wasn't until about 5am that we decided to call it a night.  Christmas day is definitely going to start late tomorrow for us -- I'm hoping to sleep through the entire thing actually.  Yup, that's right.  I really don't care for Christmas this year.  I mean, I celebrated it a lot and blew it up at Hulk's but that was more so for our members and not for myself.  I wanted to share with them parts of the Christmas culture I grew up in -- advent calendar, mistletoe, etc -- and let them enjoy it but tomorrow I won't be with them.  I won't be working and, well, Snickers doesn't really care for any holidays let alone Christmas.  He only really celebrates holidays because I do and it's more like him going along with whatever I plan for the sake of him wanting me to be happy.  Tomorrow I don't want Christmas though.  Tomorrow it'll be exactly one week since we got that terrible phone call, telling us a family member had died, so waking up to Christmas morning is going to be avoided by me.  

No comments: