As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Twas the Night of Christmas... Wednesday, December 25

Twas the night of Christmas, yet all through our place,
No sense of the season; no sight, sound, nor taste.
No stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
Cause a, there’s no chimney, and b, I don’t care;
(And c, I’m too old to believe that St. Nick will be here).

Balboa in my sweater, Pac snug in our bed,
While visions of no Christmas haunted thoughts in my head.
The hubby off at Hulk's, and I searching on eBay,
Had assumed it'd be just another average day.

When out in the hall there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my office chair to see what was the matter.
Away to the front door I flew like a rocket,
Poor little Balboa hanging off of my front pocket.

Had Christmas arrived? But where’s the snow?
And what’s with this weather, it’s not even below!
Then what to my wondering eyes should I see,
But my beautiful little girl, Kim Pyen Chi.

With a smile on her face, fur all gold and tan, 
She showing up was way better than some jolly old man.
Her eyes how they twinkled, her nose how merry!
Her fur a bit dirty but that's what you get when you're that hairy.

Earlier today I said, “Christmas this year, it just can’t be,
Especially because last week we lost family."
We have no money for presents, it's all in Hulk.
Even my plane ticket got cashed in," oh I did sulk.

I had tried with all my might, to avoid Christmas day,
I had slept until 9pm, had wasted the time away.
But my man had returned with Pyen to cheer me up,
And with all her jumping, it's impossible to avoid a 45kg pup.
  
“Now Amy, dear Amy" my husband said to me,
"Christmas IS here so please try to celebrate it you see.
Don’t think of the bad things, just think of the good,
Cause that’s what your father always said you should."

And so there we stood, together in our place,
And I knew in my heart that it was by God’s grace;
That I would have a family so sweet, a family so dear,
A beautiful husband that would love me and hold me near.

So despite my heartache and all my tears,
Despite not being with family, like so many years,
I’ll try to enjoy Christmas, I’ll try with all my might,
So Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!

And that's exactly what happened, I enjoyed the night.
But to reveal what we did might give you a fright.
We're a married couple, so it should be no surprise,
Our night included a romantic shower and some holiday pies.

Our Christmas dinner was ghetto -- reheated pizza I don't care for,
And no presents this year because we're quite poor.
Instead, our money goes into Hulk's, into making our dream come true.
Because we love who we train and believe in what we do.

So to my friends and family, here in Cheonan and elsewhere,
May you too have a Merry Christmas and know that I care.
I wish you so much and next year I promise you this,
I'll be spending it in Canada, in pure Canadian Christmas bliss.

No comments: