As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Back to Work, Back to Happiness... Tuesday, October 21

Yesterday was packed with business meetings and lots of excessive discussions about our possible  next business adventure but it wasn't until today that we opened the club doors and I actually got back to working out our Hulkies.

Friday was my fight, Saturday I basically spent it sight-seeing and then on the plane, Sunday I slept all day, and then yesterday was an overdose of business talks, but now I'm back to training.  Usually after a fight I am given a full week of expected rest and relaxation but with Thai talks of me returning for a possible even bigger fight with bigger stakes against me, it was back to training for my today.  I had training from 2:30pm to about 4pm and then from 4pm till closing I trained our members.  

It felt so good to be back in full swing.

I had stashed an array of souvenirs and goodies from Thailand for so many of our Hulkies and friends and today I started handing them out.  Initially my list started off with only a few names but it quickly escalated to double digits as my week in Thailand continued.  I had friends, family, Hulkies, and of course sponsors to get gifts for.  There were so many people who had really supported me with my training, my fight, and with me being in Thailand and many of these same people really reached out to Snickers with him having to manage the club alone.  That really meant a lot to me and I am ever so grateful.  It was hard to keep my gift list short so I promised myself only 20 people and then I bought them all little tokens of appreciation.  Gifts ranged from dried fruit and snacks to an expensive bottle of Grand Marnier.  Today I thought it'd be cute to surprise many Hulkies by hiding a gift for them in their locker so it was fun to see their reactions when they discovered them. 

Numerous members welcomed me back with big smiles, hand shakes and even several hugs and high fives, and many friends stopped by the club to give me extra congrats.  It was definitely flattering as it was interesting to note who went out of their way to acknowledge me and share some good vibes and those who simply could care less.  I can't take it personally though, many just don't know what went down with this fight nor do many care to know either.  To each their own, right.  Anyways, I had stepped out of my regular routine, my life, for a solid week and upon returning back into it I was so happily welcomed back by those who do care about me and it was awesome.  

My work day ended early tonight on account of a little surprise celebration party one of my sponsors had put together for me.  Together several of us from Hulk's headed out for a late night dinner party at one of my favourite restaurants.  After the party, a few of us drove around town and just chatted.  It was nice to know that they were happy I was back and that they were proud of my success.  It was a perfect ending to my first day back at Hulk's.

No comments: