As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, October 02, 2014

From Holy Frustration to Holy Potato

This picture wasn't me trying to look fierce for the camera instead it was caught at a moment of pure frustration, right after I had finished an hour of padwork with Snickers.  I took a breather from training as I struggled to hold back tears of frustration when someone snapped this picture.

Our club's motto, something I find myself repeating over and over each day as the day's training seems to get harder and harder.
It's been a rough week of training and I had promised myself once I got through it I'd reward myself with a new top so I bought this as an early reward for myself.  It's a flashback from the 80's short hoodie that perfectly matches my in-your-face bright pants and shoes.
Note here that it's not that I particularly like super in-your-face-colours as much as it is stirring far away from the usual black I used to lean on.  Sure the black is great in that it's forgiving when it gets dirty but it also used to be the colour, or should I say shade, I used to lean on back when I was overly insecure with my body.  Now that I'm comfortable in my own skin, black is dead to me.
Holy potato!!!  There's always food coming in and out of our club thanks to our amazingly generous Hulkies but today's special surprise of sweet potatoes definitely took the prize for the funniest.
This particular potato measured in at 11.5 inches.
It was so big it fed all these ladies plus so many more.  Sweet potato for everyone tonight!!!

No comments: