As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Scariest Night at Hulk's BY FAR... Thursday, October 23

At exactly 1:39am my scariest night at Hulk's began and it left me spooked, shaking and in tears.

I was laying on my bed, watching a video on YouTube with my three pups all passed out beside me.  Snickers had gone out of town to see his good bud, Boy Wonder, so after I hung the freshly washed laundry I called it an early night and went to the bedroom to relax.  That's when I heard a noise.  It was like the sound of someone landing a jump and then taking a step.  I clearly heard it over the noise of my video and instantly the pups all woke up and jumped to their feet.  Then there was a large black shadow that was casted over my closed bedroom door, like when someone walks in front of the side window.  Outside the street light shines in but if you walk in front of the window it temporarily blocks the light and hence a shadow is cast on the door.  The closer to the door you pass, the more clearly defined the outline of the shadow is.  Tonight's shadow wasn't defined, it was as if they had purposely walked close to the window in attempt to be decret with walking pass the door.  It was when this shadow passed over my door that all three pups started growling like crazy.

Someone was in the club, I was absolutely, 100% positively convinced of it.

I had pressed my phone up to my chest to block out its sound and then I called Snickers.  "Stay on the phone... I think someone is in the club!" I told him.  I had taken a shower earlier but hadn't put any clothes on so I quickly grabbed some clothes off the laundry rack that just two hours earlier I had hung up and then I left the bedroom in wet clothes.  Instantly the dogs raced out of the bedroom barking their heads off and headed towards the front doors.  I, on the other hand, stayed standing outside my bedroom door, watching for any random strange movement.  When I turned on all the club lights, there was nothing but the club as I had left it a couple of hours earlier.  Nothing seemed different but I felt completely different.  I was spooked.

Snickers ended up not staying in Suwon as I had expected, he said he was heading home so I stood at the front doors waiting for him.  I thought I'd be standing there for awhile but when he showed up no more than 10 minutes after I had called him, turning to see him on the other side of the door with his hoodie on his head was enough to send me screaming.  I stood there shaking and then I continued to shake when we then checked the entire club together.  Our club may look like one big open space but there are some many hiding spots at Hulk's -- the crawl space above our bedroom, the crawl space that outside the perimeter of the club, a backroom patio no one really knows about, and a secret elevator shaft, to name a few.  All these hiding spots meant searching the club wasn't exactly easy.  We did quite an intense check of the entire club though -- climbing up and down the ladder checking crawl spaces, going in and out rooms, opening and closing doors and cupboards.  Nothing but shot nerves were revealed in our search so we went back to bed.

I should note here that it didn't help that not to long ago I read an article online about someone who secretly lived in someone's closet for years on end.  Leave it to me to think of this tonight and wonder if someone's been living here all this time with us.  I mean, it could happen.  The dogs are in our bedroom at night so for all we know someone could be eating our food and roaming around the club freely while we're sleeping... spooky! 

But anyways... then an odd noise happened again.

Only then did Snickers admit that maybe my story wasn't just my imagination or the wind.  I knew what I had heard and knew what I had saw so honestly I felt a bit relieved when it happened again and Snickers was there to experience the strangeness of it all.  When the sound happened, Snickers flew out of the bed ended up standing beside our bedroom door, in the dark, waiting for it to happen again.  He then searched the club again but came up with nothing.  It ended up happening again but only after he had given up searching and had returned to bed. 

I am well aware that our club has been labelled haunted because of its grim past with it being the former location of a hospital but this wasn't ghosts.  Ghosts don't make noises.  This was something totally different but we don't yet know what "this" was.  The plan tomorrow is to do a search of the entire building, see if any homeless people have somehow slipped in, and then block off the second floor bare stairwell window.  Currently the stairwell is blocked and during the day the pups all occupy the space on the other side of the barrier we've put in but at night time the pups sleep in our room with us and the massive steel side door leading to our club is locked.  

"What did you learn tonight?" Snickers asked -- it was his attempt of making light of the situation. "I will always protect you, that's what you learned", he said before he could give me a chance to answer.  "No," I said, "I will never go to bed naked again!"

No comments: