As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Just One of those Days... Wednesday, April 20

You know it's going to be just one of those days when the monthly fire drill goes off right as you're leaving your apartment with three bags of laundry, which in my world of excessive training is merely just a week's worth of clothes.  A fire drill means no elevators for about a good half an hour, exactly the amount of time I had given myself to throw in the laundry, return home to get ready and head to my appointment so that I'd be back to grab the laundry when it's done.  No elevator but still pressed for time and still that appointment so it meant having to take an alternative route.  I took the stairs down, I took them up, and then I took them down again. 

Forty-eight flights of stairs...and that was BEFORE training!

Then, if that wasn't a rough enough start to my day, on route back home from my appointment I dropped my money when I pulled my cellphone out of my pocket. Goodbye $40....yikes.  You know how some people live paycheck-to-paycheck well that's kind of like me except for the fact that I have no paycheck.  I'm a starving athlete baby, money is a pure bonus at this point.  I live on necessities.

In trying to keep it positive though, in my mind someone having a harder time than me scored that money I dropped.  Maybe I just made not their day but their week.  Maybe their groceries are curticy of me today.  And that text message that caused me to reach into my pocket to answer, it was from the manager of Clancy's Boxing. I had noted to her the other day about definitely feeling the crunch with having to get that long list of medical testing and whatnot done within the 90 day restricted time for my licensing. My EGG is the last thing on my list of things to do for my Canadian boxing pro license and I've been waiting over a month for it.  That text was her telling me she had pulled some mad strings and got me an EGG appointment for tomorrow morning -- AWESOME!!!

As for the rest of my day, it pretty much stayed on the border of being both good and bad.  I sparred with Coach Perez, a rough three rounds.  He ended it by complimenting me on my efforts.  I had cut his lip during sparring and he complimented me by telling me I'm the first to have made him draw blood during sparring.  Odd compliment but I'll take it, nice.

No comments: