As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Places I Train At... Monday, June 27

...FOR MY BOXING
Hardknocks Boxing
This is my main club, I train here five days a week with my coach, Coach Perez.  It's a private club so Coach Perez gives me usually a two hour heads up to when he'll be training me.  We arrive, unlock the door, train, lock the door, and leave.  It's a smaller club but I like it a lot, it's the perfect size and has all we need to train hard.  Coach Perez is a super talented fighter and that's the big perk with being trained by him.  He's an active fighter, not a has-been retired fighter, or someone who coaches but has no actual background ring experience.  He's in the ring, training for his own fights, but he's also pushing me and through my training.  Out of all the coaches I've had, I'd have to say that he's my favorite.  He tells me how it is, keeps it real, and pushes me when I'm too tired to push myself.

Clancy's Boxing Academy
I'd love to train more here but it's such a commute from my house to Clancy's.  It takes me about an hour but much longer than that when I leave late at night.  I attend team training on Mondays and the occasional Friday when there's not some kind of boxing event going on.  Team Training is lead by Coach Ricco and is a two hour class that involves burn-outs on the bag, partner work in the ring, and ends with 30mins of core conditioning.  I like the physical demand on my body for endurance and that Coach Ricco is always giving me pointers and correcting my form, and I love the social aspect of training with a solid crew of people who always are so supportive and fun to train with.


...FOR MY WEIGHT TRAINING
System Fitness
I've been training here long before I left for Korea, back when I was a university student, so it's pretty awesome to have returned after all these years and see those who still train here.  It's about a half an hour commute from my house but it's worth the commute; love training here.


...FOR MY RUNNING
High Park
When I train with my running coach -- Coach Madman -- he takes me here to do running, sprints, and a series of leg exercises like jumping frog jumps and jump squats. Coach Madman is a great coach and he's also a fighter so he knows exactly what I need as a fighter for my training.  He's hilarious to train with but also very encouraging because everything he makes me do during training he also does alongside me and I respect that.  

Don River Trail
Located right by where I'm living, the Don River Trail is a great addition to my training because if I want to run long I am rewarded via ending up by the lake.  The trail is always buzzing with cyclists, walkers and fellow runners and I love it how for the most part us runners smile or wave at each other as we pass each other.  No one did that in Korea.  I'm always sure to give my little "kimchi" fingers (peace sign) as I cross paths with a runner.  There's a private dog park along one part of the path so sometimes I use that as a target spot to sprint to and then I stop there to pet the pups.  

Riverdale Park
Attached to the Don River Trail is Riverdale Park and this park has a gruesome hill that is perfect for intense hill sprints.  I usually take Balboa here when I do sprints.  He plays in the grass or chases me up the hill as I kill myself with my HIIT workout.  I think the only real problem with this park is that there isn't much shade, at least not on the hills where I run, so you're one massive target for the sun to beat down on you as you work the hills.  Only adds to the intensity, right.  Right.

No comments: