As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

A Morning Full of Medical Testing... Wednesday, September 21


For the past week and a bit my lower left side has been really irritating me; it's been painful.  The worst it got was the other day when I was standing at the bus stop and I thought I was going to puke.  I felt so incredibly nauseous and thankfully one of my neighbors just so happened to be at the same bus station stop because she came to my aid.  I didn't puke but I definitely didn't feel good.  Now I'm no one to go to the doctor's just for anything nor do I take any kind of pain meds, not even so much as Advil or Asprin.  I wait it out and figure that there's nothing that a little of extra fluids and some rest and relaxation can't really take care of for me.  But this pain has been rather consistent for about a week and a half so I went to my doctor.  He booked me a vaginal ultrasound and bloodwork, two appointments.

I had those two appointments today -- 8:50am ultrasound, 10am bloodwork.

I had asked some of my friends about the ultrasound because I've never had one let alone a vaginal ultrasound.  They reassured me it wasn't painful but it'd be uncomfortable and extra uncomfortable for me considering I'm not down with people touching it and are super shy in that sense. 

The lady doing my ultrasound was a middle aged Ukrainian lady that tried to distract me by talking to me about the Polish festival and asking me questions about it.

Ultrasound done.

Next, bloodwork.

I was so nervous about the ultrasound appointment that I had peed before my appointment, meaning that she had a harder time getting a read off the scene and then I had return after my bloodwork appointment to try once more to pee in the cup.

The nurse had suggested I put the urine sample cup in my purse and return with it.  I laughed when she told me.  Turns out she wasn't joking though.  I returned an hour later to do it at the office.  Pee in my purse?! Umm, no thanks.

It'd be one thing if I could have gone home after both those appointments but I had a meeting downtown.  I thought it'd be a fast business meeting but he insisted we go to a coffee shop and chat about my business proposal as opposed to me simply handing over my rough draft. 

I sat for 40 minutes with whatever jelly I hadn't quite wiped off my body from my ultrasound and was overly distracted by it.  I knew I had some in my belly button so I tried to not sit up straight and let it touch my shirt.  I had just gone through a forty five minute appointment where a blonde lady squeeze cold jelly on me, placed a condom on a medical probe and then stuck that thing up my "secret girl part" while she tried to talk to me casually, as if that meter long stick wasn't where it was.  Okay, so it wasn't a meter long and it was more professionally done than how I described it but I still had the residue and some of the unwiped gel on my body and was expected to sit there drinking coffee casually.  Nothing was casual about how I felt.  I had been probed like an alien and wanted nothing more to go home, wash and scrub down every 2000 and 1 of my body parts.

Finally got to go home and shower.

Now the waiting game with getting the results.

No comments: