As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

A Tear for the Captain... Sunday, September 11

It was quite the commute there and back to the hospital today.  It was the second weekend, second hospital and the second dear person to me that was in the hospital.

Today was my church's corn roast.  It was suppose to be a day of fun in the sun and yummy-in-my-tummy, roasted, dripping-with-butter corn.  I anticipated enjoying the corn roast and then enjoying a coffee in the sun with the Captain at our usual chill spot, Riverdale Park, like we usually do every Sunday.

Instead I headed off to the hospital.  It was a two hour commute from my apartment.

"This is some terrible chill time", I told him.  "Chill time in the hospital and we don't even have coffee".  My attempt at trying to make light of the scary situation the Captian had found himself in.  Somewhere between this past week and maybe even as long as two weeks ago, the Captain's appendix has ruptured. It burst open and then got infected.  And here I thought I as a boxer had a high tolerance of pain, seriously.  He's been walking around with a ruptured appendix for the last week and a half, maybe longer actually.  That's crazy.

I arrived at the hospital today, found his room and when I walked in I was greeted by the Captain sitting up at the end of his bed, leaning against the frame.  At first glance I thought he was trying to play the victim card and play up being sick so I started laughing but as soon as he looked up at me and our eyes met, I knew he wasn't joking.  This was serious, something serious had definitely gone down.  He's only been in the hospital since Friday evening but he's lost 10lbs.  He's not a particularly big guy to start off with either so you can tell every pound that was lost.  
He looked so frail and I felt so helpless just looking at him.

Then he reached out for my hand.  I gave it to him and he went to sleep.  I didn't know what I could do so I got comfortable in my chair and held on to his hand.  Every so often I'd get up to close the door, get something from my purse, or whatnot, and I'd return to his side and hold his hand.  I felt all I could do was hold his hand so that's exactly what I did.

It was rough to see him in his condition but it was nice to be there for him.  

No comments: