As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea on February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I went from being some random foreign girl to taking on labels I never imagined – university professor, film extra, professional boxer, reality TV star, CEO of my own girls-only fitness company (Flipside Fitness), CEO of my own boxing club (Hulk's Club, formerly known as Hulk's Boxing), and now I'm launching my 3rd business -- Empowered Clubhouse.

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again. This time it was for the Philippines. That's where I am now, living in the land of the happy people. The struggles are real and the struggles are many but I'm living life on my terms, I'm calling the shots, and I'm doing what I love. Life is an amazing adventure and this is my story of yesterday.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Karma Gave Me a Scare... Thursday, September 1

I did something last night that I shouldn't have.  I met up with someone that I had been warned never to talk to again because he had been labelled "trouble" from the very first time we all met him and friends hadn't taken that label off him since.  But me, being a sucker for thinking people do have the power to change, I met up with him to talk.  

He's still trouble.

He's still trouble and so much trouble in fact that I knew I had docked off a handful of much earned karma points off my shelf when I left.  Karma bit me the same night I first met him and it bit me tonight again.  Some may say it's a fluke but my friends think it's not a coincidence.

If only I had stuck to my usual schedule -- leave for System at 9pm, arrive at 9:30pm and then train up until closing time, 11pm.  I would have been one of the last people in the women's change room and dropping something wouldn't have been an issue because the only next person that would have seen it would be either the night time or opening cleaning lady on duty.  Instead, I changed my plans for Trouble.  I went exactly two hours earlier to training, meaning that I also left two hours earlier.  I also took a shower there, a very rare thing for me to do because I like to shower back at my own place.  So I was in and out earlier than usual and I had a ton of extra stuff stuffed in my bag to make sure I packed up when I left.

Packed everything except my combo lock and cell phone, apparently.  

Returned to the club at 6am and only my combo lock was sitting in the change room. 

I was crushed.  

On August 5th my Korean phone died -- the motherboard got fired -- and now my iPhone, the runner-up phone to my Korean phone, the only one that has the apps and whatnot to connect me with Korea, goes missing.  Great, just great.  Fantastic. Fabulous.

Karma had slapped me in the face and kicked me right in the Polish rear.

If I hadn't agreed to see "him", the whole series of events that lead up to me losing my phone never ever would have happened.  I ended up getting my phone back, totally a surprise and talk about one massive stressed-out day.  Lesson learnt.  Don't go messing around with trouble... or with Trouble.

No comments: