As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Out with the Ugly, in with the Wonderful... Tuesday, September 13

For the past two years I have hated September 14th and I had come to the assumption that I'd be hating it and cringing over the anticipated arrival of it for the rest of my life. But as Tuesday concluded and September 13th became September 14th, every thing changed.

September 14th changed and it was only a few minutes into it when it happened.

Two years ago on this very day I had hit rock bottom like never before and to say it was rough would be the understatement of a lifetime. No one but two of us will ever know the "rock bottom" that was hit and neither of us have ever talked to each other about it since. 

365 days in the year and this would forever be the date I hate amongst them all.

...that is until I got a text message tonight.

I was leaving my coaching job downtown when a certain someone messaged me, telling me they wanted to talk to me. I hadn't talked to him in about a month nor had I seen him in awhile. He texted me and told me that he was down at the place where we first met. Instantly I thought this was a cry for attention, an attempt at sparking things and rekindling the "us" that never really got the chance to really become an us. 

My thinking and his meaning were quite the opposite but I thought I'd amuse myself, hear him out and just see how the evening went. He showed up at my apartment, parked downstairs, and then I came out, jumped on the back of his bike and off we rode to where we had first met -- Ashbridge's Bay. We grabbed a coffee and headed to a section of rocks jetting out into the lake that were secluded from the beach boardwalk and general public.

...and that is when he made a business proposal to me.

He's heard me talk about my Second Dream to much extent, it's always on my brain and on my lips, and tonight he wanted to talk in more detail about it. My main obstacle right now is funding to launch my Second Dream and that's where he offered his help. He told me to get my business proposal ready, punch in the numbers and bring them to him. If he thinks it's a good investment than he'll be my financial investor, my silent business partner.

Our late night talk ended shortly after midnight, after the clock had struck midnight.

Leading up to today, if you would have asked me what would have become of today, I would have told you the same thing would have happened today as it did last year -- I'd bite my tongue, hold my breath and hope to squeeze out of today without getting too upset and without the ugliness of the past leave me in tears. So it's rather ironic that on the most hated day of the year I be so unexpectedly surprise with this most amazing opportunity of support and encouragement. Talk about stomping out the brutal bad and filling it in with the amazingly awesome!!!

Having said this though, it might all take a big belly flop, crash and burn, the financial investment that is and my Second Dream too.  But failing sure beats never taking a chance and regretting it.  I jumped and hoped to fly when I started out taking Hulk's Boxing from a thought in my head to something in the physical world so I already know I can fly.  Now to jump again.

No comments: