As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Training for What's Next... Thursday, September 15

I had a business meeting today, a breakfast meeting, and then it was go, go, go from there.

Today's Schedule:
8am       Breakfast meeting
11am     Swing by the Toronto Reference Library
12-8pm  Coaching downtown -- a boxing class, core class and 2 personal training clients
8:30pm   Meet with Foo Man Choo
9:30pm   Training at System Fitness
11:30pm  Return home -- walk Balboa and answer business emails

After having been my own boss for the past several years, it's really hard to be an employee, working for someone else's business.  I took this coaching position at the women's only fitness gym downtown Toronto because I wanted to use it as a hands-on study tool -- a means of learning first hand behind-the-scene look at how a business functions and operates.  My Second Dream is to open my own female-only clubhouse so while this gym isn't exactly what I want to do in my future, it's half of what I want to do though and it is one of the closest things to what I want to launch.  I like my coworkers and I like my boss but it's hard to not be the boss.  I have so many ideas and so many things I'd love to bring to the table but this isn't my place.  I am but a worker here.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays my coworker is with me only for a couple of hours, my boss is in and out, and then I'm totally running the gym by myself.  So I do have some freedom with setting the vibe of the club and running it how I seem fit during my hours but not really.  I am still very much limited to that which comes with working for someone else under someone else's rules and being just an employee.  

In my eyes, this job is on-the-job training for my Second Dream, my next dream job.

No comments: