As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea on February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I went from being some random foreign girl to taking on labels I never imagined – university professor, film extra, professional boxer, reality TV star, CEO of my own girls-only fitness company (Flipside Fitness), CEO of my own boxing club (Hulk's Club, formerly known as Hulk's Boxing), and now I'm launching my 3rd business -- Empowered Clubhouse.

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again. This time it was for the Philippines. That's where I am now, living in the land of the happy people. The struggles are real and the struggles are many but I'm living life on my terms, I'm calling the shots, and I'm doing what I love. Life is an amazing adventure and this is my story of yesterday.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Craziest Fifteen Minutes... Sunday, October 16

In a matter of 15 minutes, not only did I meet a new friend, I scored a potential new personal training client, told a full grown man off, cheated a taxi driver, caused a police man to yell at me, caught a train, broke my Blackberry phone and lost my iPhone.

Ok, so the new friend also became my potential personal training client and that man I told off was also the taxi driver I cheated, but I think you the point that a lot went down in the short span of 15 minutes.

Here's the play-by-play of what actually happened.

The story took place at the corner of Sherbourne and Bloor, at 7:55am.  I had just realized the first subway isn't until 8:05am but I had to be down at Union for the 8:15am Go Train to Oshawa.  So there I was, standing at the corner, at the bus stop with the rest of the early morning bus takers waiting.

ME:  Anyone going to Union Station, let's split a cab.
GIRL:  Ya, I am.
ME:  Ok, jump in cookie.

We jump in the next available cab, give the instructions to the taxi driver to take us to Union.  The driver then jump in our conversation as this random girl and I start talking about why we're in a rush -- me for the coaching apprentice class and she for a church singing solo performance.  We were both going to Oshawa.

ME:  [directed towards the driver]  Your job is to just drive so just do that.  Do not talk.
TAXI:  But..
ME:  No, no, no... just drive, seriously.

While racing to Union, we notice the driver doesn't have a visa or debit machine so we pull out our wallets to see if we have enough money.  I had a $5 and $10 bill; she only had change.  She offered two free coffee cards from McDonalds and a half full of change.  

But what's that, the driver CAN'T take us to Union?!  Of course no.  There's a marathon being set up so he drives us as close he can get us to Union Station but it's not very close so I hand him the handful of change and a bill and then me and this girl jump out of the cab to sprint it to the station. 

TAXI:  Wait, wait,... my money!
ME:  Dude, I gave you like a $5 tip on a $12 ride.
TAXI:  No, no... my money!

POLICE:  I think that taxi driver is yelling at you.
ME:  Ya, because he doesn't like all the change.  
GIRL:  What's his problem?
ME:  I don't know but serves him right for not having a debit machine.  He's like the only driver in this city without one.

As me and this girl are sprinting to Union, she jokes and says she wishes I was her trainer because I'm sprinting like a beast.  So I pulled out a free week pass from my wallet and give her.  A minute or two later, while sprinting, the back pocket in my bag opens up and out drops my phone, my Blackberry.  It cracks but is still ticking apparently.  Me and the girl end up parting ways.  She can't keep up with me and I really can't afford to miss this train.  When I arrived at Union to pay for my ticket, I realized then that not only did my Blackberry phone fall out of my bag but so did my iPhone.  I had but only a brief pause in time to debate whether or not to go back and look for my phone, with the hope of none of those police and soon-to-be running marathon runners find it and keep it, or do I jump on the train and count it a lost.

I counted it a lost but not before I texted a bunch of friends to message my WhatsApp on it, hoping that whomever found it would take note and contact me.  Turns out one of my friends I texted just so happened to be at Union Station.  He headed out in search of my phone but had no such luck.  It was gone.

Also when buying my Go Train ticket, I noticed that I still had the $10 bill in my hand, hence why the taxi driver screaming at us from the other side of the road.  Not only had I not tipped him like I thought I had but I hadn't even paid for the actual taxi ride... opps.

Arrived in Oshawa, on time but sweaty, and when I got off the train I heard someone calling my name.  It was the girl, she had made the train too.  We ran to each other, hugged as if we were long lost BFFs and had a good laugh about the whole situation. I then had to attend day two of the coaching apprentice course and gear up for sparring afterwards with Killer Bee.  

What a morning... what a day!

No comments: