As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Facing the Music... Tuesday, October 4

I had to face the music today, it was inevitable.  Last Friday I had shown up late for work.  Shown up topless actually, topless as in I had a sports bra on but no actual tank top.  My boss for the female-only club was away this weekend on a camping trip so that bought me time for him to calm down and whatnot. 
 
I showed up for work today and as soon as I saw him I sat down beside him and said “So, are you going to fire me?  That’s not cool if you want to but that wasn’t cool I slept in, I know”.  He gave a little giggle, said that he wasn’t going to fire me and then we chatted for a bit about the situation.  I know it wasn’t good I showed up so late, am well aware of that, but it’s not like I had intended to.  Having run my own business, I definitely had a different perspective on things compared to the usual employee.  I know what it’s like to have invested all your time, effort, money, and soul to your business and then struggle with employees who don’t share even a remote small percentage of passion for your company.  Been there, done that.  I’m not going to be one of those employees who works at a job they hate and doesn’t try.  I’m here at this female-only gym to learn the ins and outs of it, not only from a trainer’s point of view but also from an entrepreneur’s perspective.  I’m here to learn and as far as I’m concerned the position I hold here is like hands-on training for my Second Dream. 

No comments: