As the story has it, I woke up and found myself on the very opposite side of the globe – the flipside. I arrived February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d simply do a year, then leave. Years later and I’m still here. I went from being some random foreign girl to taking on labels I never imagined – university professor, film extra, professional boxer, CEO of my own girls-only fitness company, Flipside Fitness, and CEO of my own boxing club, Korea's largest -- Hulk's Club, formerly known as Hulk's Boxing.

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I picked up one day and left. I returned to Toronto, Canada but only to pack up my bags and venture out again. Now I'm living in Makati, Philippines. Life for me is better in Asia and I'm so happy here. This isn't a new chapter in the book of my life though, it's a whole new book I've started!!! I'm a whole new woman. I left Korea with Flipside Fitness on my brain, Hulk's in my heart, boxing in my bag, and my four-legged friend Balboa Button by my side.

Life is an adventure and this is my story of yesterday.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Facing the Music... Tuesday, October 4

I had to face the music today, it was inevitable.  Last Friday I had shown up late for work.  Shown up topless actually, topless as in I had a sports bra on but no actual tank top.  My boss for the female-only club was away this weekend on a camping trip so that bought me time for him to calm down and whatnot. 
 
I showed up for work today and as soon as I saw him I sat down beside him and said “So, are you going to fire me?  That’s not cool if you want to but that wasn’t cool I slept in, I know”.  He gave a little giggle, said that he wasn’t going to fire me and then we chatted for a bit about the situation.  I know it wasn’t good I showed up so late, am well aware of that, but it’s not like I had intended to.  Having run my own business, I definitely had a different perspective on things compared to the usual employee.  I know what it’s like to have invested all your time, effort, money, and soul to your business and then struggle with employees who don’t share even a remote small percentage of passion for your company.  Been there, done that.  I’m not going to be one of those employees who works at a job they hate and doesn’t try.  I’m here at this female-only gym to learn the ins and outs of it, not only from a trainer’s point of view but also from an entrepreneur’s perspective.  I’m here to learn and as far as I’m concerned the position I hold here is like hands-on training for my Second Dream. 

No comments: