As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Off to the Shawa... Saturday, October 15

This weekend I'm out in Oshawa doing my coaching apprentice course.  Consequently, I had to wake up at 6am, be out of my place by 6:40am and on the 7:13am Go Train.  Leave it to me though to be running late and get on that 7:13am Go Train with something like 4 minutes to spare.  I always seem to get the Go Train with such limited extra time.  A sprint to the train always occurs every time I take it.

Killer Bee picked me up from the Go Train station and brought me a coffee.  As if I didn't think she was already super awesome enough, right... hahaha.

The course was being held at her boxing club and I wasn't sure how many people would be attending nor did I know who would be teaching it.  Showed up at Jamestown Boxing and was greeted by a huge smile and a huge hug from Coach Adrian and then, when he stepped away from me, I realized who was teaching it. 

On Facebook I have a lot of "friends" -- people who I don't necessarily know but they're either boxing fans or actively involved within the boxing community.  I follow some of them on Instagram and some of them follow me too.  Turns out the coach teaching this weekend's course is non other than someone I'm very familiar with on social media, someone very active within the boxing community but whom I've never met before.  When I looked past Coach Adrian and saw him I couldn't help but give a giggle because we're both quite familiar with each other.  

The course was loaded with lots of info and by the time the day of learning was done I was so mentally done.  I was scheduled to spar with Killer Bee but both she and I were exhausted -- we're both not used to sitting for such a long period of time -- so we decided to reschedule's today sparring and move it tomorrow.

The Captain was super sweet in scooping me up in Oshawa and he brought his bike, sweet!  I love riding on the back of his bike.  I threw my gear on my back and off we headed back into the city, back to Toronto.  Stopped by our favourite little restaurant in the beaches for dinner -- breakfast at dinner, of course -- and then he dropped me off at home.

Back to Oshawa tomorrow for more of this coaching apprentice coaching course.

No comments: