As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Going Green with the Boxers... Tuesday, November 1

"Like the first time" -- this was the motto for my former boxing club in Korea, UP Boxing Club.  It's a simple motto with a hard meaning to live up to because serves as a reminder to continually bring the same energy, enthusiasm and dedication day in and day out to training, just like the first time.  Easier said that done, of course.  So how do you keep it fresh and bring the same energy?!  That IS the question.  I box six days a week and have been doing so for almost double digits now so how do I keep going at it "like the first time", well, one of the things that helps me is coaching beginners in boxing. 

Coaching a beginner boxer is as amusing as it is educational, not only for them but for me as well.  You learn a lot by teaching and I say this because you're forced to have to go back to basics, dissect it, and explain why they need to do what has already become second nature to you.
 
I've been coaching Team Blue at Clancy's and they're still beginner boxers but they're not so green-green anymore.  My women at the female-only gym are super green.  If they were a specific shade, they'd be fluorescent green.  I have a total of eleven fluorescent green fighters I train at my gym.  They're all doing it as a part of their training, to spice things up and add some extra intensity and fun.  Out of the eleven, six of them train with me regularly.  They know my shifts, when I'll be at the gym, so they come on those days, anticipating pad work with me and I love it.  Today I thought it'd be fun to make up ringside boxer names for them all.  Some of them I've already created but today I sat down to finish off the list of those I train in boxing. 
 
An idea that I came up with tonight was to take one of my green boxers and showcase them on my Instagram.  I decided to pick "Baby Beast".  She's flourscent green but has such a great personality and is super fun to train.  She's only had a couple of boxing sessions with me and I've already started to film clips of her training.  I've decided to go with "Motivational Monday" on my Instagram, it's pretty self-explanatory, and I've been thinking about what to focus on for each additional day of the week.  Today I decided to go with "Tune in Tuesdays", as in tune into Baby Beast's training on Tuesdays.  Every week I'm going to film clips of her training and call it "Baby Beast in the Making".  Tonight I filmed her and the aim is to post a kind of trailer teaser for "Tune in Tuesday -- Baby Beast in the Making" later this week.

No comments: