As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

The Bright Lights of the Hershey Centre... Saturday, November 19

Headed out to the Hershey Centre for a night of live pro fights and, like expected, I ran into a lot of big names and familiar faces. Many of Toronto’s boxing fans are familiar faces with me now so I always make an effort to add them to my mental list of people to say hi to and hug. They’re up there with my fellow pro fighters, club managers, coaches, promotors, officials, sponsors, and media people.  
Watching the live fights makes me itch to get to training, to get ready for a fight.

I got dolled up for the event – an exhausting procedure that always makes me grateful to have a career in a profession where leggings, sports bras and runners are the expected norm. As a pro fighter, no one really expects me to look good and by good I mean stylish and put together with hair done nicely and makeup on. It’d be weird if I was all put together. As a coach I have to look presentable but as a pro fighter I get away with sweaty clothes and messy hair; it’s awesome and it’s definitely a perk of the job. I’m expected to put all my effort into training not into my looks. But attending live fights, it’s a night out to get dolled up for. 

Toronto has a solid boxing community and I’m very proud to be a part of it.  
 
I love a good Saturday night of live fights but I don't think I'll ever get the honor of being able to fight here in Toronto with friends, family, fans and my fellow boxers cheering me on.  I always fight away from home. 

No comments: