As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Asia February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. Years later and I’m still here. I went from being some random foreign girl to taking on labels I never imagined – university professor, film extra, professional boxer, reality TV star, CEO of my own girls-only fitness company (Flipside Fitness), CEO of my own boxing club (Hulk's Club, formerly known as Hulk's Boxing), and now I'm launching my 3rd business -- Empowered Clubhouse.

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and left. I returned to Toronto, Canada with Flipside Fitness on my brain, Hulk's in my heart, boxing in my bag, and my four-legged friend Balboa Button by my side. But then I left again. This time it was for the Philippines. That's where I'm at now, living in the land of the happy people.

The struggles are real and the struggles are many but I'm living life on my terms, I'm calling the shots, and I'm doing what I love.

Life is an amazing adventure and this is my story of yesterday.

Monday, November 21, 2016

Winding Down... Monday, November 21

Woke up to the wind howling so loud outside my window and frowned at the thought of having to trek it over to Riverdale Park for my Flipside Fitness boot camp.  Today only one of my girls was signed up so I had anticipated turning it into a training session for me to also participate in.  I geared up and left my apartment but as the elevator reached the first floor in my building, I got a text message.  It was from my Flipside girl, asking me if training was still on despite the bad early morning weather.  I texted her back, “it’s your call”, and then she decided to call it off.  Headed back upstairs to my place and crawled back into bed. 

 In a little over a week my Team Blue will be stepping into the ring but with a little over a week of coaching them left and having had already coached them for 9 weeks, today’s unexpected training cancellation was a sweet surprise to my morning.  I haven’t had too many days where I can sleep in or have extra time on my hands.  Sleep is at a minimum, eating is at an all time high because of how much I’m juggling, and my training has become somewhat put on the backburner.  I’m not complaining, I signed up for this, but it’ll be nice to go back to being able to focus more so on my boxing.  I’m looking forward to resuming my Saturday afternoon training sessions at System, my Monday night training at Clancy’s with the fighters I’ve watched train for the couple of months as oppose to train with.  I miss training with them, I really do.  The busiest of my days start at 5am and end at 11:30pm but 11:30pm is only when I get home.  Of course there’s prepping food for the next day, trying to squeeze in laundry, walking Balboa, and then trying to wind down.  There’s been no wind down for me.  There’s been being on and being off – waking up and then passing out from exhaustion after a long, non-stop day.  I look forward to wind down time, some down time.

No comments: