As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

A Different Kind of "Gym"... Wednesday, December 28

Worked out at Anytime Fitness, well, they don't really know we did but we did.

Thanks to my quick feet and my small Polish self, one member leaving meant me being able to slip in.  In all honesty though, we did sit around the front waiting for their staff member to return.  The sign on the door read that a staff member would be back at 10pm;  it was 10:23pm when we arrived.  When we noticed another sign on the same door that read the gym is attended to by a staff member between the hours 8am to 8pm we spotted the contradiction and decided to train regardless of it.

The plan is to return tomorrow, note us having trained here tonight and pay for a day pass.

Anytime Fitness, not a big fan of it but it did the job.

Was made aware of Planet Fitness tonight in a discussion I got into when leaving Anytime.

Am I the only one who hasn't heard of Planet Fitness and it's bonker rules?!  

Some of Planet Fitness' ridiculous rules include the following... 
No tank tops allowed.
No buff bodybuilders of fitness fit peeps.
No squatting allowed.
No deadlifting allowed.
No grunting allowed.
No cellphone use allowed.

Furthermore, they offer their quests and club members FREE pizza, FREE bagels AND free Tootsie Roll candy.  Don't even get me started on the fact that one bagel is equivalent to six pieces of bread.  And, if that wasn't brutal and shocking enough, they have a "lunk alarm" which they encourage members to sound when they see

Planet Fitness claims to be a "judgement free" gym yet ironically enough it's so incredibly discriminative towards fit gym goers, people they've labelled as "lunks".  It's so bad that it's got to the point where they won't even let us fit gym goers train at their facility because they claim it "intimidates" their other members.  

Wow.  

They don't want to be intimidated but the only thing they're actually intimidated by is their own insecurities.  

I don't know about you but when I see a fierce female at System, training hard and killing it on the weights, I feel inspired and I think it's awesome.  To have a strong woman working out by me empowers me.  Empowered women empower women.

Anyways... My next-thing-to-do in my mind was to walk into a Planet Fitness and see just how many times someone will ring the lunk alarm on me.  I'd go in there with my layers on and then peel them off, revealing my short shorts and just a sports bra.  I'd then make the biggest grunt as I drop down and try to squat my max weight with my camera video taping it all.  

I'm such an instigator at times, I know, but stuff like this is flat out ridiculous.  

No comments: