As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, December 11, 2016

From Me to Us... Sunday, December 11

I'd like to start off today's posting with a little song dedication.  And I'd like to dedicate this song to two people in particular, one who is far away and one who isn't. 

The song is "Roar", by Katy Perry.

I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath 
Scared to rock the boat and make a mess 
So I sat quietly, agreed politely 
I guess that I forgot I had a choice 
I let you push me past the breaking point 
I stood for nothing, so I fell for everything 

You held me down, but I got up (hey!) 
Already brushing off the dust 
You hear my voice, your hear that sound 
Like thunder, gonna shake your ground 
You held me down, but I got up
Get ready 'cause I've had enough 
I see it all, I see it now 

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter 
Dancing through the fire 
'Cause I am the champion, and you're gonna hear me roar 
Louder, louder than a lion 
'Cause I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar! 

Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 
You're gonna hear me roar! 

Now I'm floating like a butterfly 
Stinging like a bee I earned my stripes 
I went from zero, to my own hero 

You held me down, but I got up (hey!) 
Already brushing off the dust 
You hear my voice, your hear that sound 
Like thunder, gonna shake the ground 
You held me down, but I got up 
Get ready 'cause I've had enough 
I see it all, I see it now 

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter 
Dancing through the fire 
'Cause I am the champion, and you're gonna hear me roar 
Louder, louder than a lion 
'Cause I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar! 

Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 
You're gonna hear me roar! 

Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 
You're gonna hear me roar! 

Roar, roar, roar, roar, roar! 
I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter 
Dancing through the fire 
'Cause I am the champion, and you're gonna hear me roar 
Louder, louder than a lion 
'Cause I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar! 

Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 
You're gonna hear me roar! 

Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 
You're gonna hear me roar!

I had written just yesterday that something has to give and today I had an idea I wanted to flex and see if it'd solve things.  So after church was done and my fun in the snow with Skittles and Wilkin was done, I headed out to a Starbucks away from the hustle and bustle of downtown to work on my idea.  Two text messages later and BAM, I had landed a sweet business deal that not only scored me close to a grand but that instantly opened up additional doors -- doors that will help me open the door to my Second Dream.  

And to think I couldn't figure this out... damn girl, you got you!!!

The irony of the whole night was in the fact that the Starbucks girl was also named Amy.  She was a shy girl with simple brown hair that had been pulled up in a simple ponytail.  I don't know if she really had any make-up on but she looked rather plain-Jane, sorry but it's true.  She didn't smile much and she was rather timid when I noticed her name on her name tag then asked what year she was born in.  I wanted to know if I came first or if she did in terms of birth date.  Turns out she was born in 1988 and I'm 1980; I beat her.  When I left Starbucks I called out to her and said goodbye.  It was like I was saying goodbye to the old me, the younger version of me, perhaps even the version of me that had walked in there tonight but clearly wasn't walking out as.  Something clicked in me tonight while sitting there sipping on my coffee, eating salted almonds and plugging away at my idea on my computer.  Something clicked and what had been initiated with me being all nervous and me second guessing myself, had quickly evolved into this awesome opportunity to really step forward and get the ball rolling with my Second Dream.

I felt like I was on fire, unstoppable.

Tonight I really felt my own power and the effect it's having on those around me.

I have followers, I know I do, but they're not just my boxing fans online or my homepage fans.  I have followers in the sense of people who are attracted to my personality, what I stand for, and my go-get-it attitude.  Some of my followers have become clients I train and some of my clients I train have become followers.  When I launched Flipside Fitness this past summer I had followers who searched me out and joined Flipside Fitness solely because they had seen me on my Korean reality TV show and wanted to meet me in person.  Regardless of where these followers come from or who they are, they're what is going to equip me to launch my Second Dream and give it that driving force to make it succeed.  They're empowering me to become empowered.  And at the rate this ball is now rolling, I pity the fool who tries to stop me because it's not just me anymore, it's US.

No comments: