As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, December 12, 2016

I Bleed Blue... Monday, December 12

My fighters have been arranging a little dinner and drinks get-together for tonight so tonight I headed out for that.  I wore a pair of nice grey pants, a simple black top, and then I toped my outfit off with a slick black leather jacket and knee high black leather boots.   I thought I looked sharp.

...apparently not as sharp as my fighters, damnnnnnn!!!

Four female fighters from my Team Blue showed up and they looked fabulous.  I knew they were good looking gals but I had gotten so used to seeing them in sweaty training wear with loosened ponytails and headbands. 

Not everyone from the team was able to show up, it was expected.  Life happens, right? Right.

It was good to see those who had showed up though I did miss the others.  They talked about the food they had so happily indulged in after the months of training and the fight and it was nice to hear how they've remained close with the team.  Some of them are interested in returning to training at Clancy's and that was great to hear.  "Telling them I fight is always my go-to that impresses guys", one girl said.  I thought that was awesome, loved it.

I wasn't able to stick around long, I had my own training to go to, but as I was about to leave they noted that they had something for me -- a gift.  I was passed a bag and inside it was a card.  It had our team picture on the front of it and on the back my fighters had signed it.  I love, love, LOVE cards but what was so touching was really the gift.  They had designed my own sweater!!! I had made numerous comments throught out the months of coaching them that I wanted a blue Agency Wars sweater.  In previous years they had made team sweaters for each team to wear but this year Clancy's Boxing hadn't continued doing so.  Today I got my very own team sweater and, at the sight of what was read on the front of it, my eyes filled with tears.  It read "Coach Amy" on the front of it and on the back it read "bap, bap, bap, boom!"  I bursted into laughter.  It was such an awesome gift and the fact that they had written that particular thing on the back was epic.  I was teased about being a super small coach with a super big voice and I'm always yelling that -- "bap, bap, bap, boom" -- whenever my fighters are working the heavy bags.  I yell it loud, I yell it fast and I yell it over and over.  I suppose I'll never be able to live it down and it'll be something they remember me for and that's quite alright with me.  I think it's awesome and super hilarious. 

Definitely going to wear my Team Blue Coach Amy sweater with pride. 

They made me a proud coach and I hope they're as proud of me as their coach as I was them being my fighters.   Bleed blue baby, always!

No comments: