As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Birthday Love for Papa Bere... Sunday, February 12

As I sat across the dining table from my dad, Papa Bere, and listened to him giggling away with Skittles, I smiled and took in the whole moment, wanting to pause it so that I could press play to resume it whenever I was feeling down.  My dad had cracked numerous silly jokes and had just said a  ridiculous one that he had faltered on but that I had caught.  Skittles didn't understand it which only made it funnier for me because I thought maybe our humour is a Polish thing.

It was my dad's birthday today so we drove out to treat him to dinner.  He wanted to eat at Teddy's Restaurant, a family owned diner in the next city, a place my family had gone there for years together after Sunday church service.  Teddy's and Swiss Chalet, the only two restaurants my family ever went to after church and often also for family birthdays.

Skittles said he loved the place to which I responded by rolling my eyes.  I'm not really a fan of Teddy's.  I go there more so because of the sentimental value it has to me -- all the memories I shared with my family here and the staff that had come to embrace us as much loved regulars.

The last time I was there I was joined with my dad and my oldest brother and his family of five.  Before that time though, the last time I had been was with my whole family -- my dad, my mom, my two brothers and my oldest brother's family.  I think Snickers may have been with us too actually.  I remember we had occupied not one but two booths and we were the biggest party in the restaurant.  The waitresses all came over to chat with us and we stayed there quite long in comparison to other times.

Today it was just my father, Skittles and myself.  Just the three of us.

No comments: