As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Making a Bloody Scene... Thursday, February 16

The lady nudged me on the subway and whispered, "I think you dropped something."

Yes, I had indeed dropped something, somethings actually -- drops of blood.  And with no tissue you in hand and nothing but my own hand and the sleeve of my jacket, I really didn't have anything to stop it, so I pinched my nose and leaned my head forward.  The blood dripped down my hand and down my arm, into the sleeve of my sweater.

"Way to keep it classy", I thought to myself.

This wouldn't be the first nose bleed I'd have, nope.  I had another one too, while waiting in line at a coffee shop.  I had sparring today but that wasn't the cause of my bloody nose, the dry winter weather was.

I've been selling a lot of things on Kijiji not just my stuff but other things for friends and today I rushed home after sparring to shower and then head out the door to meet up with a buyer downtown.  Ended up having to text this particular buyer to tell them I'd be late.  "I have a bloody nose and need to get tissue", I told him.  Popped into the bathroom at Union Station and then continued on my route to meet up with him.  I had grabbed a tissue to wipe down my arm and my nose but I guess in doing so using a mirror would have done wonders for actually cleaning myself up.  Showed up with some blood smeared across my face.

There was always that look of disbelief and "I don't know how to respond to that" look in people's face whenever I told someone in Korea I was a boxer.  Here in Canada it's different though but today the look on that buyer's face when I told him I was a boxer was the same look I had got for years in Korea.  Turns out it was because of the streak of blood that stretched from my jawline to the top of my nose that sparked that look.  I had worn that streak of blood on my face like it was war paint for a good twenty minutes, great.

No comments: