As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

One "Not Cancelled -- Postponed" VDay... Tuesday, February 14

I overhype the holidays, I know, and this totally sets me up for disappointment, I know this too. Regardless, I did it for Valentine's Day, for today, just like I did it for Christmas and for my birthday. 

I had dinner plans for tonight but plans got canceled because a certain someone had a close-to-impossible deadline for a work project that wasn't originally his and the deadline is tomorrow morning, 9am.  Not cool but what can you do.

"Not canceled," I was told, "just postponed".

A holiday isn't a holiday unless it's celebrated on the actual date.  I say that but the actuality of it all is that I'll take a late holiday celebration over a forgotten, a missed and an ignored holiday.  I spent eleven years in Korea trying to get those around me to care about the holidays and most of those years were spent trying to get Snickers to celebrate them.  It really took the joy out of the holidays.

I feel like here I should stop this chattering about having my Valentine's Day postponed and should remind myself that I'm blessed just being wished a Happy Valentine's Day.  I had been unexpectedly treated to ice cream, chocolate, flowers and pizza.  They didn't know what kind of ice cream I liked so they bought me two tubs of it, they had bought my favourite chocolate and a bouquet of flowers they know I'd like, and pizza has turned into a kind of go-to cheat meal for me.  Not only had I received gifts but I had received gifts that the given knew I would like.  Now that's something... that's something special.  

In the past I had always bought my own holiday gifts.

No comments: