As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea on February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I went from being some random foreign girl to taking on labels I never imagined – university professor, film extra, professional boxer, reality TV star, CEO of my own girls-only fitness company (Flipside Fitness), CEO of my own boxing club (Hulk's Club, formerly known as Hulk's Boxing), and now I'm launching my 3rd business -- Empowered Clubhouse.

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again. This time it was for the Philippines. That's where I am now, living in the land of the happy people. The struggles are real and the struggles are many but I'm living life on my terms, I'm calling the shots, and I'm doing what I love. Life is an amazing adventure and this is my story of yesterday.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

A Night to Remember... Wednesday, March 22

Back to reality today -- double dose training.  I had boxing in the morning and weight training in the afternoon but with an evening dinner party out of town for me to attend I had but just enough time in between boxing and weights to take a shower and catch my breath.  But I did have just enough time to get in a swim, just a short swim.  Did the whole jump into the pool right after boxing thingy again which meant I arrived at the condo pool soaking wet from training, took off my baseball cap and sweater, then jumped in.  Super refreshing!!!

I was invited out to a house dinner party tonight so I got dolled up for that and showed up super hungry.  I was told beforehand that the food at this particular house party would be "like none other here in the Philippines" so with only a protein shake in me after two and a half hours of training, I gambled on their word being legitite.  

They definitely didn't lie.  The food was exceptionally amazing.

I had roast beef that tasted like no other roast beef and I don't really like roast beef.  And don't even get me started on the bread pudding and a Filipino cheese bread they served with coffee after the meal. It was a sensory overload of delishness and the only problem was not having a big enough tummy to eat it all.  

The dinner party was set at this overly elaborate and ultra gorgeous house out of town.  I arrived at the front gate, walked in and then knocked on an oversized door.  The door then opened and I was instantly greeted to shiny tiled floor, grand pictures and a stunning chandelier.  The place was stunning.  I was then escorted into the family room where all the ladies of tonight's dinner party were gabbing and giggling on a massive couch.  The one side of the room's wall was glass and it looked out to the indoor pool that sat between the family room and the kitchen.  The house help were out there lining a set up table with catering-style dishes and trays for tonight's meal.  It was so unreal.  

As for the men at the dinner party, they were upstairs, checking out the head of the house's basketball card collection.  It's an impressive, to say the very least, collection that carries over from one room of the house to another and one that is insured for more money than I'll probably ever see in my lifetime.  

The food was fabulous, the house was gorgeous and the company was beautiful.  I had come there totally not expecting any of this beyond meeting more of my adopted family and discussing business but it was awesome.  I left the dinner party late in the evening.  I left with my tummy full and my heart full.  I didn't realize my adopted family was as big as it is and I definitely didn't realize just how beautifully sweet they are.  They're solid, solid people.  

Tonight was pretty epic.

No comments: