As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Out of My Comfort Zone... Thursday, March 30

With my head gear on, mouth piece in and my wrapped hands in my gloves, Coach Arman approached me in the ring and said we'd go for three rounds, break for one and then go one last round.  Four rounds with the big guy, got it.

At Elorde they also teach Mauy Thai, in addition to boxing, so their boxing ring floor is very much padded.  The padding ring floor is great for the Mauy Thai boxers who fight in bare feet but for us boxers with treads on our boots it's rather difficult to move around in.  It definitely takes some time to get used to it and I was trying to get used to is as I spar.  

Round one... Round two... Round three... Break.

I collapsed to the floor to relax my legs.  My legs were totally feeling the added resistance and struggle from the padded ring floor.  Coach Arman took off his gloves and came to stretch my legs out.  I laughed at just how rough that was on my legs; dang padding.

After a break of one round, we geared up again and continued to spar.  

Some of those training stopped to watched, one club visitor grabbed a better seat and our sparring had grabbed the attention of one coach who then joined ringside to watch.

That "one extra round" turned into three extra rounds, bringing today's sparring session to six rounds of 3 minutes a round -- a 21 minutes sparring session from start to finish.

I know Coach Arman went easy on me but it was good in that he definitely caught me on some of my repeated errors, causing me to correct myself and test new things out.  He caught on pretty quickly that I'm an infighter and I like to hold so I could feel him letting me exhaust myself with that and then counter attacking me.  He's definitely likes to counter punch.

The sparring session was good and I think I scored some respect and weight to my name at Elorde because that one coach who was all eyes on me during sparring commented to me after and Coach Arman asked when I wanted sparring next.  

The plan is to spar every Thursday now.

No comments: