As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Street Food and Added Looks... Saturday, March 18

Hmmm.... What did I do today?!....

I did fasted cardio before breakfast.
Got treated to a foot massage at my condo... Yeah for that.  My left foot is throbbing!
Nap time.
Went and searched out some Filipino street food.
Went for a swim in the pool -- 20 laps with my new swimming goggles.
Weight training at the gym -- upper body and abs.
Worked on my homepage and responded to business/fan mail over coffee.

Filipinos are pretty small and by small I mean short.  Most are small too, as in petite and compact. You don't really see many big sized Filipinos, both tall or wide, but then again I haven't really seen too many buff or toned ones either.  There's skinny and then there's muscular lean.  Skinny Filipinos, yes, but the muscular lean are really only at the gym.  Today I was commented to after someone noted I was working the same weight as another gym goer, a male gym goer that is.  I'm kind of used to it now, lifting the same weight as the dudes here, but I'm starting to feel a bit too muscular for the Philippines.  

When Filipinos look at me I feel they don't see me as ugly because of my look -- the half shaved head, tattoos and athletic body -- but they don't also see me as really pretty either.  I don't think I'm pretty either, for argument's sake, I think I'm cute but I think my look confuses them a bit.  Some are confused where as others look at me and ponder if I'm a celebrity, because of my unique look.  I asked my Filipino buddy the other day what Filipinos thought of my look and he admitted that he's a bit confused but thinks I'm "still a very pretty girl".  In Korea my look made me feel ugly whenever Koreans looked at me and it wasn't so much because of the hair but instead because I was more muscular than the average women.  Korean women tend to want super lean arms and equally lean legs... Long, lean legs.  My legs are short and stocky because I weight train and only stand in at 5ft 2".  But here in the Philippines, I'm pretty much the average height here so that's pretty awesome.  

No comments: