As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Best Uber Drive E.V.E.R... Saturday, April 22

After sparring six rounds with Coach Arman at Elorde, I then stepped out into the sunshine and then into my Uber.  I was drenched under my sweater and baseball cap hence the reason why I had put them on, to not totally soak the Uber car seat.

Saturday traffic is always brutal but today it was exceptionally brutal and the Uber driver noted this to me within the first few minutes of sitting down.  The driver's GPS suggested a better route, a route packed with backstreet roads and narrow streets, so he took it.  I've lived in the Philippines now for almost 2 months now so I've taken the Uber home from Elorde more times than any where else but I've never ever seen the streets we took today.  

Most Uber drivers don't really talk to me, beyond simple questions like asking me if the air conditioner is okay and if I want them to change the radio station, but today's Uber driver and I got into quite the conversation.  It started off relatively simple, consisting of small talk chattering, like different places I should visit here and what Filipino dishes I should try, but then it got rather deep.  We talked about Korea, about Canada, and even about relationships and my Second Dream.

Two hours, that's how long he and I talked, that's how long the drive home was.

What is actually only a 1.7km route home but usually takes 15-20 minutes ended up taking 2 hours long.  And when he dropped me off in front of my condo, I opened the door and lingered a bit because our talk was just that good.

He ended the conversation with me by telling me, "I hope you make your business here in the Philippines.  You will love it here and we will love you."

I do love the Philippines and I do love the Filipinos and all their fierce Filipinas here.

No comments: