As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Asia February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. Years later and I’m still here. I went from being some random foreign girl to taking on labels I never imagined – university professor, film extra, professional boxer, reality TV star, CEO of my own girls-only fitness company (Flipside Fitness), CEO of my own boxing club (Hulk's Club, formerly known as Hulk's Boxing), and now I'm launching my 3rd business -- Empowered Clubhouse.

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and left. I returned to Toronto, Canada with Flipside Fitness on my brain, Hulk's in my heart, boxing in my bag, and my four-legged friend Balboa Button by my side. But then I left again. This time it was for the Philippines. That's where I'm at now, living in the land of the happy people.

The struggles are real and the struggles are many but I'm living life on my terms, I'm calling the shots, and I'm doing what I love.

Life is an amazing adventure and this is my story of yesterday.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

Gym Feet. To the Extreme... Thursday, April 6

Showing up for sparring without my boxing boots wasn't the best moves yet on my part but the sparring had to go on.  I had made my way to Elorde, Coach Arman was warming up for the session, and that's when I had made the discovery.  My boots were back at the condo, drying off.  Safe place for them but not where they should have been.  They should have been in my bag.  Regardless, sparring did go on without them. 

Six rounds of sparring with Coach Arman, barefoot.  A slight round twist in my ankle in the second round caused a bit of concern and I stepped back to shake it off but it seemed to be not an issue.  In the fifth round I took an accidental shoulder to my head and then rammed into Coach Arman head first -- his head crashing into mine -- and that felt "great".  My head took a beating in that particular round.  

After sparring I did a few rounds on the speed bag and then continued training via hitting the heavy bag for four rounds.  Bag work was then followed with ab work.  

I hit the gym later on in the evening, for weight training, legs.

I figured it out, 1500 calories.  That's the grand total of how many calories a day my body is burning training here in the Philippines.  Yikes.  

No comments: