As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, May 15, 2017

A Sad Countdown... Monday, May 15

The boxing club has always been a staple in my life, keeping me together and opening doors to new people and new possibilities.  I really do love the Elorde I'm training at here, Elorde Katipunan.  It's a short Uber drive away to what feels like the "real" Philippines.  Eastwood is a little bubble world and it constantly reminds me why I never wanted and never did live on campus when I went to University.  Coach Arman teases me all the time about living in Eastwood, telling me that I should visit his house, his family, and really see the Philippines.  

I'm super eager to move out of Eastwood but I don't want to leave Elorde.

I'll be moving to Makati and training out of Makati's Elorde -- Elorde Elite.  It's a large boxing club with a massively high ceiling but it's no Elorde Katipunan.

I've met about 40 new friends here on my own, however I only remember the names of probably 28 of them.  Of the 40, 31 of them are from Elorde Katipunan.  I see those same 31 Elorde friends every week.  Most of them I see every single time I go boxing so I see them about 5 days a week.  Leaving my club here means leaving a lot of friends.

Having said this, that I'm sad to be leaving Elorde Katipunan, I am very excited to be making my own crew of fabulous peeps at my own place.  It's the in between part, between leaving Elorde Katipunan and starting my company, that's going to be the hard part!

No comments: