As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

It was a Go, Go, Go Kind of Day... Saturday, May 27

My last day here in Eastwood and I spent it out of town at a boxing tournament and then at a posh dinner party.  How's that for really celebrating my move out of here?! I can't wait till my new home in Makati!!!

Side note, yesterday we put in an offer for a condo.  I'm moving into that gorgeous condo building that I had posted about this past Monday -- that building with the crazy awesome lane pool!!!

An hour out of Eastwood there was a big boxing tournament going on, one that I was actually suppose to fight at... that is until my opponent cancelled.  Anyways, 8 fighters from my boxing club were participating so I headed there to cheer them on.  One of my friends from my club, Nico, was having his first boxing bout so the excitement and anticipation around that particular bout was high.  I stood ringside and watched him before his bout.  He looked super focused but looked spooked too.  It was a big deal for him, I know, it was a big deal for me too.  I wanted him to win but more importantly I wanted him to enjoy it and really embrace the rush and excitement of the fight.  Unfortunately he didn't win his fight but it was an awesome experience plus it's all about win or learn anyways.  I think he learnt a lot from this first bout and I hope it feeds his passion for the sport even more.

That moment when you pass your should-have-been opponent at your should-have-been-fight and she makes some random excuse as to why she bailed... that happened today.  Skittles had mentioned he thought he saw her, my should-have-been opponent, but she looked so different than how I remembered her.  I looked so different too but kind of in the polar opposite way -- I've really trimmed down.  Some local fighters called her out on it by getting her attention and stopping her in the crowd to ask about it.  She gave some excuse about not being able to make the weight cut off but with a month to drop weight we all knew that couldn't have possibly been the real truth.  We all stick by the notion that she found out who I was and was intimidated.  I wouldn't be an easy fight for her.
But anyways...

The disappointment of the day came when the fight for one of the best fighters at my club got cancelled.  Something about not being able to find him an opponent at this tournament.  It was an amateur tournament but it was loaded to the brim with fights.  Something like 50 or 60 fights happened today.  I had stuck around to watch his fight but it never did happen.  We were all so disappointed.  He's been training like a beast and is amazing. During one of my sparring matches he was my corner help but every time I go to Elorde this young fighter is always there.  I think he's there more than the average coach is.  He would have destroyed his opponent, hands down.

The boxing tournament took up most of the day but then I had a family dinner party to attend in the evening so I ubered it home, showered, walked Balboa, and then headed back out.  The party was to acknowledge the 40th day since a certain older gentleman, a member of the family, passed, so family had traveled from out of town for mass and dinner.  It was being hosted at what appeared from the outside to look like just a regular office town but inside it was so opposite of that.  With lavish couches and beautiful colours, the floor we dined on was gorgeous.  I had arrived early for the dinner but once family started rolling in they just kept on coming and coming.  Next thing I knew it the place was packed.  It was such a beautiful dinner but those that had filled the event were what really made it particularly special for me.  

No comments: